Similan Island mis-Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naucorid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently did a 2-dive day-trip to the Similan Islands in Thailand. For this, I scheduled the dive trip through Warm Water Divers (WWD) in Phuket, to whom I give high marks for their end of the arrangements. But they are simply the agent who books the boat operation, and they also rent gear. I brought my own gear except BC and reg, which I rented from WWD. The gear was fine, although the regulator mouthpiece was bitten through in the middle, making it tough to hold onto without a conscious effort. The major complaint (WARNING) I have is the South Siam Divers operation. They picked me up from the hotel at the appointed 6:30 a.m. rendezvous and proceeded with a 90 minute van ride north to Thap Lamu in Phang Nga Province. Here, they loaded the divers from multiple hotels and 2 vans and their personal gear, along with rented gear from the dive shops, onto a speed boat for a 105 minute transport out to the liveaboard, which is moored in the islands. This all went smoothly. I made acquaintances with my van-mates and others in the speed boat. We received a dive briefing from Ian, the boat manager, which was efficient and covered all appropriate points. My divemaster buddied up the four divers under his supervision, and he was in the water first. Each of the four of us had a decent amount of experience, but most other divers that I spoke with on the liveaboard were still in the single digits in their dive logs. I noticed one diver approaching the platform without air turned on (difficulty inflating BCD). I helped him. All divers were jumping from the back of the boat like penguins at the edge of the ice. Nobody was checking anybody. No okay signs when in the water… nothing. With such little experience by so many divers, this scenario is a disaster waiting to happen. Ian thinks he runs an efficient operation, which might be true for the boat-related activities that they take up, but a lack of attention to some standard dive safety issues clearly exists. When the speed boat returned in the afternoon to take those of us who were departing the liveaboard and their gear to the docks, we were told to put all our gear in a stack on the dive deck. I double checked with the crew that I was putting my gear in the right place, received affirmation, and set my bag on the absolute top of the stack. Well, all bags in that stack made it to shore except mine. For some reason, my bag remained on the liveaboard overnight. The manager at the dock office was apologetic, but offered no compensation other than to say that when this happens, they will get it the next day. Why should this happen more than once? I asked WWD to call SSD to radio the liveaboard because I was not at all confident they would remember to put my gear bag on the next speed boat run. The bag was was returned to my hotel the next evening at 7 pm personally by the South Siam Divers office manager. Although Warm Water Divers offered me free rental equipment for the next day to compensate my temporary loss of gear, even though the missing gear bag was not their fault, I lost a valuable day of diving because my camera was in the gear bag. By the way, diving in the Similans is fabulous. Choose your boat operation carefully, and I do not recommend South Siam Divers.

Interesting reading.

By coincidence, the manager of South Siam was in our office as I was reading this, so I have given her a copy of your comments. Kim will I am sure act on this and pass on these comments to Ian and other divemasters on the boats.

We book a LOT of people on the South Siam boats, so I am interested to hear negative comments. Last season, out of all those we booked, I got one complaint from a snorkeler who didn't like revisiting the same snorkel spot. I swear we had no complaints from divers. Indeed we had many positive comments. We make all people aware that when they book these boats to expect a crowded boat, and a little confusion with pick ups and transfers. And people always come back happy. Maybe you are more safety aware than the average diver :)

Rest assured that your comments are now in the hands of the manager. Our company will continue to book on these boats, and we are very happy with their service.

I also book with South Siam Divers, but can understand the comments from the OP. The boats can be crowded, and they tend not to make groups when getting in the water from a full boat, etc.
Last year they were having the same kind of problems, so in the end the tourleaders of the boats were sacked, but since the structure remained the same, the problems remain the same.

Still, you have to look at what you pay and what you get in return, and I must admit there are alternatives, but still Sout Siam Divers is certainly not a bad company in that respect.

One good thing I heard to today from an instructor who had just been on South Siam 3, is that Ian (boat manager) does not normally dive. He had to argue this with the owners and convince them he should just be in charge and counting people out and in, and generally supervising. He will dive if the boat is not full, but prefers to stay on top of things.

as far as I can see from the post, all divers were 'fun diving' and not doing a course.. this means they were 'qualified' divers and as such it is their responsibility to do buddy checks on eachother and as far as I can see their failure to do so is their own.

Well we all like a good complaint, I more than the next man!

But to be honest your comments would apply to 75% of all dive operations in Thailand (I did not say Phuket take note) and probably 75% worldwide in similar countries to Thailand. Indeed I thought you described an excellent dive operation that would be right up my street.

As for the bag - hell that's par for the course - it will happen everywhere, not just on dive boats - thats why I love Thailand, if I wanted my home countries (UK in my case) standards, culture and attitudes I should have stayed there - paradise comes at a cost after all.

Oh BTW - your first post and it's to tell people to keep away from a company - hardly cricket! You didnt even mention if you liked the diving?

whitehead:
Well we all like a good complaint, I more than the next man!

But to be honest your comments would apply to 75% of all dive operations in Thailand (I did not say Phuket take note) and probably 75% worldwide in similar countries to Thailand. Indeed I thought you described an excellent dive operation that would be right up my street.

As for the bag - hell that's par for the course - it will happen everywhere, not just on dive boats - thats why I love Thailand, if I wanted my home countries (UK in my case) standards, culture and attitudes I should have stayed there - paradise comes at a cost after all.

Oh BTW - your first post and it's to tell people to keep away from a company - hardly cricket! You didnt even mention if you liked the diving?

Right on Mr Whitehead!

Being the suspicious person tha I am I cant help wondering when I read such threads whether someone might be maliciously trying to damage a company's reputation (a competitor maybe?), esp since it's the 1st post they've put on here!

Back
Top Bottom