Similans update!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank from The Junk just called today to brag that they saw everything except Mantas up at the Similan and Surin Islands this week. Whaleshark at Richelieu Rock, black tips, white tips, leapardsharks, eagle rays, plenty of turtles and loads of other marine life. Apparently the viz at most sites was 40 meters plus!

Hope this season is going to be as good as last season for the marine life.

Sounds great!

I'm heading there (Similan Islands) on the 11th of November for a liveaboard!

Can't wait, never dived with sharks before, really hoping to see mantas...

Ringo,

Thanks for the update. You made my week, as I head out to the Similans on Saturday. I'll be sure to post a trip report.

Arizona

That sounds incredible. I was reading this thread with all of the bad vis talk (even as bad as <2m) and getting concerned about my trip in February.

What is the more common visibility in Similans and Rich area?

The common visibility in Similans and Richelieu is 25 to 40 meters.
Agree with that for the start of the season. Later on the visibility will not be that good, mainly because of the plankton in the water. But the plankton has of course also advantages with regards to marine sightings ...

For those that may be interested, the trip was great. Going early in the season allows you to have most dive sites to your boat alone. The underwater topography is really interesting with plenty of swim throughs and colorful corals. If you have ever been to Arizona, it was like diving north of Phoenix. Diving in the deseret you say! What I mean is it seemed like you were diving the the area known as Carefree, Arizona which is pure desert. Huge granite boulders. The vis made it seem like you were out hiking in the Sonoran desert submerged underwater. For me personally it was very cool as I have not been back to AZ for at least 5 years. I hope that makes sense.

We did not see many big fish, but still had a great time enjoying vis on average 25-30.

I really liked the Philkade and thought the crew did a great a job. The dive briefings were very well planned. We only had 7 guests on this outing. The boat is very comfortable and handled the choppy seas well on the way back. Worth splurging for IMO. No issues at all.

Arizona

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom