Simple Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are never enough outlets for battery chargers, laptops, etc. Well, not everyone goes to Mega to get their own $12 coffee maker, but be sure to take a 3 prong extension cord with multiple 3 prong outlets.
Occasionally, I come across a two prong receptacle. I take an adapter for plugging 3-prong devices into those older sockets.
Yep, very good idea. There is some risk so make sure you are dry when using those.
Handy tip: Bring a single-outlet surge suppressor (Staples has 'em). I once blew out the recharger for my camlight batteries because of dirty power.

-Bryan
Good idea. I never have but may well now.
I totally agree with the first quote and find the second handy but not necessarily "must have"... I always travel with a 3/2 Prong Grounding Adapter such as this Amazon.com: 3 Prong to 2 prong grounding converter: Electronics that you can get at HD or Lowes... Small and one of those "just in case" items that can come in really handy...!
Except not all of the screws you connect that to are grounded. Do you really pull the screw to attach yours?
Yes, take a converter. Most places have "U.S." recepticles but not all.
In Mexico? I haven't been all over, just much of Quintana Roo but all I have seen was 110 volts, 60 cycles. Same type used in the United States and Canada. We've even been known to buy from them for our home grid, altho bulk transportation is usually in 440 volt until transformed locally...

Mexico rides to rescue of Texas' electricity woes? Si se puede | Trail Blazers Blog | dallasnews.com

lsorenson:
I totally agree with the first quote and find the second handy but not necessarily "must have"... I always travel with a 3/2 Prong Grounding Adapter such as this Amazon.com: 3 Prong to 2 prong grounding converter: Electronics that you can get at HD or Lowes... Small and one of those "just in case" items that can come in really handy...!
Except not all of the screws you connect that to are grounded. Do you really pull the screw to attach yours?

No, I just used it as an example... The one I use is without the ground strap...

lee

No, I just used it as an example... The one I use is without the ground strap...

lee
Ok you use an ungrounded adapter, with some risk.

Just becuase it's 110 power, doesnt mean they have the same configuration outlets.

Ok you use an ungrounded adapter, with some risk.

Its fair to point the risk out Don, and I should have..., there is risk involved if your computer case was metal and shorted out or even your charger for your primary light... I have never worried about it but then I am not plugging in some rickety lamp that may have a nicked cord touching the metal lamp base...

To the OP, IMHO the risk is small to both you and your equipment. Having said that, common sense does come into play and the adapter should be a temporary solution but I would not use short term on a window AC or long term for anything...

lee

Just becuase it's 110 power, doesnt mean they have the same configuration outlets.
Well, no - but standard 2 or 3 prong outlets are all I have seen in Mexico.

Now out of the streets, be very leery of exposed wires. Not exactly code sometimes.
Its fair to point the risk out Don, and I should have..., there is risk involved if your computer case was metal and shorted out or even your charger for your primary light... I have never worried about it but then I am not plugging in some rickety lamp that may have a nicked cord touching the metal lamp base...

To the OP, IMHO the risk is small to both you and your equipment. Having said that, common sense does come into play and the adapter should be a temporary solution but I would not use short term on a window AC or long term for anything...

lee
Oh yeah, I've used them many times. Half of my house is not grounded and I carry an adapter for sure - but think twice about water when I do. Seems I often have things drying in my room on dive trips.

Ok gang lets put this issue to bed.

Look at my profile and you will see I am an electrican. I have also stayed at hotel Cozumel before. I also double checked with Enrique from hotel Cozumel today to make sure there has not been any changes since my stay there.

Electrical outlets in rooms have 3 prong, and the power is 110 volts.

Also as for surge supression which helps with (dirty power) I did not use any during my previous stays. However it cannot hurt if you feel it is needed.

Oh yeah, this is about Hotel Coz. Sorry, forgot. :blush:

The extension cord with multiple outlets is still a handy idea I think, depending on how many gadgets one takes. I'm sure that the hotel outlets are all grounded 3-prongs tho.

Back
Top Bottom