http://www.diveheart.org/

Since we're in the donating mood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825:
Very cool organization! They sound a lot like us:)
Tony was manager of the Oakland A's, very well known in the area for his foundation and their good work.

catherine96821:
well, for humane reasons?

I do not agree with many things PETA does, and I do not give them money. I think radical groups serve a purpose, in that they pursue avenues that perhaps a more moderate organization would not....like breaking in to laboratories with a video camera. No one person, no government, no organization is ever going to tell you the whole truth. You have to get the truth from as many different sources and sides as possible.

Let me ask this....Do you think we would know of certain occurences if PETA never came along? I don't. Whos is going to tell you? Not the Humane Society. They sweep it under the rug a bit, clean up the truth before dishing it up for us.

You are right that they expose things. But just because they do some things right, that (in my mind) does not excuse the things they do WRONG, which is plenty.

Regarding euthanization, I seriously doubt that every one of those thousands of animals could not be saved. Just like they fault others for, they took the easy (and cheaper) way out and killed them, while they paid for their luxurious accomodations instead of veterinary services.:(

dang, they make up these videos. They lie to increase their support. Like Brigitte Bardot with the seal hunt. seals are cuter than cod so screw the cod, even if seals get so numerous they destroy the other marine life and end up dying of hunger and diseases.

no, clubbing those baby seals...

I don't know wardric, that would set off my moral compass alarm.

Like killing whales...can't always rationalize it. Not logical but something inside (insticts?) tells me I can eat a fish but I should not blugeon a baby seal for his coat.

You guys may have a point about PETA, but I have not seen expose's put out by any one but them.

When I took ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support) at USCD, I had to place a chest tube in a dog. I think it was anesthetized and did not seem to be suffering. Where do you draw the line? You have to know what is happening to even contemplate it.
Having said this, those monkeys getting slammed against a wall for spinal trauma research crosses my line. PETA films this stuff and makes us SEE IT. No one would ever give them permission.

catherine96821:
no, clubbing those baby seals...

I don't know wardric, that would set off my moral compass alarm.

Like killing whales...can't always rationalize it.

What makes a baby seal more important than a chicken or a veal calf?

catherine96821:
well, for humane reasons?

I do not agree with many things PETA does, and I do not give them money. I think radical groups serve a purpose, in that they pursue avenues that perhaps a more moderate organization would not....like breaking in to laboratories with a video camera. No one person, no government, no organization is ever going to tell you the whole truth. You have to get the truth from as many different sources and sides as possible.

Let me ask this....Do you think we would know of certain occurences if PETA never came along? I don't. Who is going to tell you? Not the Humane Society. They clean up the truth before dishing it up for us.

in my reply I did say i'm sure they do "some good"

However I don't think I'd ever characterize them with the statement that "they clean up the truth before dishing it up for us". They seem to stretch the truth is more like it.

But you are correct, you will never get the "entire truth" from any one organization.

but if you're looking for an organization that does an awful lot for a specific subset of animals (raptors/birds of prey) you'd be hard pressed to do better than
HawkWatch.

If you check out their website you'll get an idea of all that they do. They've been consistently tracking migrating raptors, from observation to banding and even satellite telemetry at a dozen or so locations around the western U.S. and Mexico for nearly three decades now. The research they are doing is truly cutting edge. Keeping track of apex predators is an excellent means of monitoring the overall environmental "health" of a particular area.

They also put a lot of energy into environmental education programs utilizing non-releasable rehab birds. Red-tailed hawks with four foot wingspans in their classroom are a GREAT way to get kids thinking about both science and conservation. The programs are even tailored to individual classes in concert with their teachers, sometimes returning as often as once a month throughout the year to complement the entire science curriculum.

They also consider their raptor migration stations (nearly all at extraordinarily beautiful mountaintops) open to everyone and maintain educators on-site to explain everything that's going on to visitors, including plenty of school field-trips. They're wonderful places to visit, especially if you get to release a freshly banded raptor (a pretty common occurrence).

In case you're wondering why I'm so familiar with, or enthusiastic about, this organization I should mention that I spent a year "working" for them as a classroom educator. I use quotes because technically I was a volunteer, with a stipend and mileage reimbursement. I can PROMISE you that no one is getting rich by being involved with HawkWatch, and very, very little money is being wasted anywhere. Volunteers (real volunteers with other jobs and who aren't compensated at all) are responsible for so much of what they get done.

I'm sure there are plenty of other organizations out there that are just as worthy, but if anyone reading this happens to really be trying to figure out how to use a few bucks to benefit some animals you could do far, far worse than sending your money their way.

Thanks for reading all that,

Adam

ffestpirate:
Hey Roturn, how will we ever choose what animals are more deserving? Won't that amount to a giant popularity contest? If someone thinks you're cuter and likes you better, you get more support than........oops. sorry. I think I read that on another thread somewhere.
:lol:

hmm. thanks wardric...I watched Larry King when McCartneys were showing the footage. It looked so brutal. Fur just is not a good enough reason in this day and age... (for me)

I try not and eat/support veal. When I do order it, I feel guilty and I have come to a place where it is no longer worth it. I still eat beef....maybe someday I won't. I crave red meat. I do not crave fur or even cures for every disease known to man, to be honest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom