Singapore Air flights cancelled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

United announced additional extended suspensions and reduction in capacity on certain routes yesterday. One that affects me is SFO to SIN direct. Instead of 2X flights per day, they are reducing to 1X per day. I called since they were still selling both all day after the announcement to see if my flight was affected. I noticed the wifi symbol on the morning flight was missing which was strange as the equipment is the same. The agent wasn’t able to confirm which flight would be cancelled and I said it was silly to announce if they didn’t know which one or weren’t ready to pull the flights for sale. We hung up and she ended up calling me back 15 minutes later. I was lucky to have reached such a nice agent. She said she did some more digging and confirmed the morning flights were going to be canceled. She happily moved me and I picked a new time/date for the evening flight.

I originally paid about $770 RT for my ticket and Mr. OOO paid about $650. (Separate reservations due to separate return dates.) Both of our original and new tickets were the same price at the time we were on the phone. After she moved us to the new flights, within the next hour, the canceled flights started to get removed from the system and could no longer be purchased. On my original date of departure, the direct flights skyrocketed to $1,800 for the night flight (12 hours after my original departure) and on my new day of departure (12 hours earlier than my original morning flight) it is now $1,100. I expected them to go up but not that much.

All of the other cheaper flight options (close to $900) now have stopovers and/or are with partner airlines through Taipei, South Korea, or Japan. This is a gateway hub airport, historically with a lot of competition on routes to Asia so these prices are higher than usual at $900 for stopover and insane for direct.

i couldn’t find any links to flights that were canceled but we are also SFO - SIN direct night flight. Our return is via SIA and Asiana thru Seoul and, if we end up going, I’m tempted to spring for a SIN - SFO one way

So you honestly believe that bats posted a threat to human beings?
This outbreak of coronavirus in human might have nothing to do with bats afterall!

BTW, bats are known to be Ebola carrier!
Yes, as cariers of many viruses and rabies bats and their droppings are a potiental risk. Here a possible explanation: Why Bats Are Breeding Grounds for Deadly Diseases Like Ebola and SARS
There are many open questions. Maybe one specific human in Hunan was infected by a mutated virus. Or a civet got it first and then a human. That this would have happend with this very specific type of Corona virus at a large scale in Manado is not plausible in my opinion.

Thailand did not ban chinese in the beginning.
They have open door policy.
I think the open door policy is why Russia is closing the door on Thailand. I was told that because of the open door, many Chinese would pass through Thailand and on to other countries.

I think the open door policy is why Russia is closing the door on Thailand. I was told that because of the open door, many Chinese would pass through Thailand and on to other countries.
There are many countries that have chosen not to restrict travel. The virus does not respect borders. A travel ban offers a temporary respite but will ultimately prove futile. Based on the Malaysian experience, citizens and residents returning from Japan, Italy and Singapore have been found to be infected. Even if a country ban foreigners, their returning citizens and residents will expose them to the virus.

There are many countries that have chosen not to restrict travel. The virus does not respect borders. A travel ban offers a temporary respite but will ultimately prove futile. Based on the Malaysian experience, citizens and residents returning from Japan, Italy and Singapore have been found to be infected. Even if a country ban foreigners, their returning citizens and residents will expose them to the virus.
Returning citizens could be kept in (self quarantaine).

Returning citizens could be kept in (self quarantaine).
Most infected people suffer from the mild form of the disease and are not aware that they have Covid-19. Of returning citizens and residents, it is a tiny fraction of 1% who are infected. I doubt that asking everybody to self quarantine would work.

With regards to the Malaysian experience of tourists who were infected, most were Chinese nationals, but there was also an American citizen. Soon there will be European tourists who will test positive for Covid-19 as Europe has decided to follow an open door policy. It is going worldwide. Travel bans will eventually be lifted.

Most infected people suffer from the mild form of the disease and are not aware that they have Covid-19. Of returning citizens and residents, it is a tiny fraction of 1% who are infected. I doubt that asking everybody to self quarantine would work.

With regards to the Malaysian experience of tourists who were infected, most were Chinese nationals, but there was also an American citizen. Soon there will be European tourists who will test positive for Covid-19 as Europe has decided to follow an open door policy. It is going worldwide. Travel bans will eventually be lifted.
It is already worldwide. But maybe the spreading in some countries could be slowed down a little to have more time for preparing.

i couldn’t find any links to flights that were canceled but we are also SFO - SIN direct night flight. Our return is via SIA and Asiana thru Seoul and, if we end up going, I’m tempted to spring for a SIN - SFO one way

Just as an update, replying to myself but if anyone in a similar boat, because S Korea blew up, United waived the change fee for the SIN - Incheon - LAX route to SIN- SFO - LAX route, which is much better anyway.

United announced additional extended suspensions and reduction in capacity on certain routes yesterday. One that affects me is SFO to SIN direct. Instead of 2X flights per day, they are reducing to 1X per day. I called since they were still selling both all day after the announcement to see if my flight was affected. I noticed the wifi symbol on the morning flight was missing which was strange as the equipment is the same. The agent wasn’t able to confirm which flight would be cancelled and I said it was silly to announce if they didn’t know which one or weren’t ready to pull the flights for sale. We hung up and she ended up calling me back 15 minutes later. I was lucky to have reached such a nice agent. She said she did some more digging and confirmed the morning flights were going to be canceled. She happily moved me and I picked a new time/date for the evening flight.

I originally paid about $770 RT for my ticket and Mr. OOO paid about $650. (Separate reservations due to separate return dates.) Both of our original and new tickets were the same price at the time we were on the phone. After she moved us to the new flights, within the next hour, the canceled flights started to get removed from the system and could no longer be purchased. On my original date of departure, the direct flights skyrocketed to $1,800 for the night flight (12 hours after my original departure) and on my new day of departure (12 hours earlier than my original morning flight) it is now $1,100. I expected them to go up but not that much.

All of the other cheaper flight options (close to $900) now have stopovers and/or are with partner airlines through Taipei, South Korea, or Japan. This is a gateway hub airport, historically with a lot of competition on routes to Asia so these prices are higher than usual at $900 for stopover and insane for direct.

Your flight with United to Singapore is still on schedule?

I have 7 flights with United this year, starting in 2 weeks then in end of May, mid July, end of August, 2 in September & end of October. I plan to cancel the one in 2 weeks since the ski resorts in Salt Lake City are already closing down their business. My next one is to Tahiti by end of May. I keep my ears open on how this will turn out. Same with the other later flights.

I can’t do anything with my United flight ticket change as they request everyone to wait until 3 days before the scheduled flight to contact them.

17B37DB3-9F28-4873-9BB9-C3EDEF082CC8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom