Singapore doctor dead - Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crystal Bay isn't in Bali but between Nusa Penida and Nusa Cenida, two islands on the east of Bali

Both Nusa Penida and Nusa Ceningan (not Cenida) are part of the province of Bali: the inhabitants speak a version of Balinese and are culturally Balinese, and the dive sites are considered Bali dive sites. Crystal Bay, for the record, is a bay on Penida island. Yes, they are islands: but there are lots of islands that belong to Bali (like the Gilis - both the famous three and other less famous Gilis - belong to Lombok).

Crystal Bay isn't in Bali but between Nusa Penida and Nusa Cenida, two islands on the east of Bali

You meant Nusa Ceningan. There is no Nusa Cenida. And Crystal Bay is in Nusa Penida. There is Blue Lagoon in Nusa Ceningan, next to Nusa Penida, but that is not the site that the accident occurred, which is in Padangbai.

I just mentioned Crystal Bay as it has cleaning station for Mola Mola and the article mentioned that the deceased diver went to Bali to see Mola Mola. Many divers go to dive in Blue Lagoon as a checkout before doing the more challenging dive in Crystal Bay.

I can see a diver might get DCS after doing a deep (>30 m) & repetitive dives, without enough surface interval, but not from a 20 m, especially with the guide, who assisted her back to the surface was doing fine. So we would need to know more more about her diving profile.

Last edited:
It is really odd. DCS could easily happen at "20 metres" at Gili Tepekong, because you have heavy surge and up and down currents that can move you around a lot in the water column if you don't know what you're doing - but it does seem like the site was Blue Lagoon.

But - she had problems under the water. You wouldn't expect DCS to present under the water. If it was Blue Lagoon, my best bet would be a non-diving medical issue that's been misidentified as DCS.

You meant Nusa Ceningan. There is no Nusa Cenida. And Crystal Bay is in Nusa Penida. There is Blue Lagoon in Nusa Ceningan, next to Nusa Penida, but that is not the site that the accident occurred, which is in Padangbai.

I just mentioned Crystal Bay as it has cleaning station for Mola Mola and the article mentioned that the deceased diver went to Bali to see Mola Mola. Many divers go to dive in Blue Lagoon as a checkout before doing the more challenging dive in Crystal Bay.

I can see a diver might get DCS after doing a deep (>30 m) & repetitive dives, without enough surface interval, but not from a 20 m, especially with the guide, who assisted her back to the surface was doing fine. So we would need to know more more about her diving profile.
Yes indeed, I was with Penida in my head...

Knowing indonesian doctors, they prolly make something up. Not lots have good training. They see a diver and say it's DCS. I guess she got something else...

Both Nusa Penida and Nusa Ceningan (not Cenida) are part of the province of Bali: the inhabitants speak a version of Balinese and are culturally Balinese, and the dive sites are considered Bali dive sites. Crystal Bay, for the record, is a bay on Penida island. Yes, they are islands: but there are lots of islands that belong to Bali (like the Gilis - both the famous three and other less famous Gilis - belong to Lombok).
The gilis are Lombok, Nusa Tengara Barat. At least, that was my adress and my dive shops adress, Gili Trawangan NTB... But how can I be sure, I was only an expat there for 5 years...

The gilis are Lombok, Nusa Tengara Barat. At least, that was my adress and my dive shops adress, Gili Trawangan NTB...

Oh boy! Yes, the Gilis - by which I assume you mean the best-known three at the top - are indeed in Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat. The island of Lombok and its subsidiary islands (scores of different Gilis) are part of the province of Nusa Tenggara Barat; Nusa Penida and Nusa Ceningan are part of the province of Bali. So you'd be right to say the Gilis are in Lombok, and you'd be right to say they're in NTB.

The gilis are Lombok, Nusa Tengara Barat. At least, that was my adress and my dive shops adress, Gili Trawangan NTB... But how can I be sure, I was only an expat there for 5 years...

I'm not quite sure what we're arguing about here? I've said the Gilis are in Lombok, as indeed they are (and further clarified that they're also in NTB). We all seem to now have agreed that Penida is in Bali, Cenida does not exist, and Ceningan is also in Bali. Would you mind re-reading what I've written and indicating where we differ?

I'm not quite sure what we're arguing about here? I've said the Gilis are in Lombok, as indeed they are (and further clarified that they're also in NTB). We all seem to now have agreed that Penida is in Bali, Cenida does not exist, and Ceningan is also in Bali. Would you mind re-reading what I've written and indicating where we differ?
I was reading to fast and not paying attention.Yes The 3 famous gilis are in Lombok, also the new ones like Gili Gede are NTB. Gili Tepekong is Bali. I know there is no Cenida. Told you, I lived there for 5 years. But, all my friends teaching on Lembongan will not call Crystal Bay a Bali dive site. They call it, most of the times a Lembongan Dive site as most of the schools are there. I know they go from Bali diving Crystal Bay and Manta Bay. But I still won't call it a Bali dive site. Just like ppl coming from Sengiggi shouldn't call Gili dive sites Sengiggi dive sites...

I was reading to fast and not paying attention.Yes The 3 famous gilis are in Lombok, also the new ones like Gili Gede are NTB. Gili Tepekong is Bali. I know there is no Cenida. Told you, I lived there for 5 years. But, all my friends teaching on Lembongan will not call Crystal Bay a Bali dive site. They call it, most of the times a Lembongan Dive site as most of the schools are there. I know they go from Bali diving Crystal Bay and Manta Bay. But I still won't call it a Bali dive site. Just like ppl coming from Sengiggi shouldn't call Gili dive sites Sengiggi dive sites...
Thanks - that's what I thought! And, yes, Gili Tepekong is very definitely Bali, despite the Gili in the name.

I'm not sure when you were last there (I last dived Crystal Bay last weekend), but there are now several dive centres on Penida - at least four and I think another two opening up - so I don't think most would call it a Lembongan dive site any more. Penida is developing really fast at the moment, so it definitely now has an identity of its own.

I'd also say (besides the islands being culturally and politically Balinese, reached by flying into Bali airport and listed in dive books and guide books under Bali) that most people would consider Penida/Lembongan a Bali dive site. Dive boats go out from Sanur, not only Lembongan - and it's actually quicker to reach Crystal Bay from Sanur than it is to get to Amed, let alone Pemuteran.

Have you dived Gili Tepekong, btw?

Back
Top Bottom