• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Singapore doctor dead - Bali

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by DandyDon, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Kevrumbo

Kevrumbo Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    And so the accident scenario plays out as reported by the dive guide:
    . . .they were about 20m deep when she gestured for help. The dive leader led her to the surface, but she was unconscious by then. . .

As the victim is lapsing into unconsciousness, AGE would likely then occur on the ascent.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. PygmySeahorse

PygmySeahorse Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    It's also a very good place to spot mola-mola (oceanic sunfish) and WAY less crowded than Crystal Bay - because of heavy surge, and strong currents, including whirlpools, and both down and up currents.

3. Scubamat

Scubamat Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Padang Bai blue Lagoon is a relatively easy dive but I don't have much comparison didn't notice much in the way of surge and current. We did get warned of the potential for surge and current and to stick close to the guide and not wander off. This doesn't seem to be a factor. Blue Lagoon was the second dive of the day both times I went, so might be factor.

4. Dan_T

Dan_T Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  5. Dan_T

Dan_T Loggerhead Turtle

We don't know how fast the ascent rate was. It would be interesting to see their dive computers' dive profile during emergency ascent on how fast the ascent rate was.

When the deceased diver gesturing for help, basically in panic mode, would it be possible that she was holding her breath while being pulled up to the surface?

May be the better course of action for the dive leader would be to calm her down in place, check her gas or any equipment failure. If she had breathing problem, replaced her 2nd stage with his octopus, instead of dragging her up in a hurry.

6. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

Where have you seen it stated she panicked or was dragged up in a hurry?

7. Dan_T

Dan_T Loggerhead Turtle

From my wild imagination. I'm thinking if I were her, having a chest pain underwater, I might do that. A concerned rescue diver would rush me up.

8. charlier

charlier Marine Scientist

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I live in Singapore and commute to Bali - I have yet to hear a first-hand description or reliable account of the accident. Without reliable information, it seems me that we are all speculating without data. In late May, I teach a coral reef diversity class at Blue Lagoon. Depending on the direction of the swell, its nice site to teach and OW or refresher class. From my distant memory, at 20m depth conditions vary from sandy bottom with coral bommies and rocks. Nearby by is a drop-off to about 30m.

9. Dan_T

Dan_T Loggerhead Turtle

IMG_6359.jpg
    The video (link below) is not too clear, but the message above is clear. Stay calm.

I was lucky enough to experience it while working on my yard (feeling weak with cold sweat & short of breath), not while diving. If I was diving, I would probably be dead too.

10. Kay Dee

Kay Dee Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    As another poster said, much of what happened in the accident in question seems to be speculation, but the above is not, it is just very good sound advice in any similar situation for any dive 'leader', dive 'buddy / companion' or even an instructor; whether the one in distress is a he or a she (that 'starts out / begins' as this accident / fatality is reported to have done).