Single day dive in NZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igneous

Registered
Reaction score
I know its been covered like crazy, but we have one day for diving and it seems like poor knights is the way to go for us and our skill level. I mainly see Dive! Tutukaka and yukon recommended, does anyone have some advice? This will be in the first week of April, are dives cancelled due to weather frequently at this time of year? Thanks!

Igneous.-April diving is great. Its still relatively warm.
weather tends to be pretty good.
I would STRONGLY recommend Yukon dive over Dive tutakaka Tut in my opinion is a bit of a cattle boat.
You can't every be certain of the weather.

Poor Knights for sure - I dived there in January so no idea about April but have also heard very good recommendations on Yukon Dive.

hello igneous. i'm writing from the tutukaka coast. the poor knights are my regular dive site. unless you are in to wreck diving, the poor knights are the place to go. as for operators, i use dive tutukaka, yukon and oceanblue adventures (liveaboard only).

i take the point that dive tutukaka can be a bit of a cattle boat, but so can yukon on busy days. all provide a good level of service in my opinion with each having minor advantages and disadvantages. if you can stretch to a two day liveaboard with oceanblue adventures, you will get a good experience of the poor knights.

as for cancellations, they can happen at any time of year. the poor knights are in open ocean in the wild south pacific, but as frosty says, april is usually a good time to visit.

lastly, the geography is definitely temperate/sub-tropical rather than tropical, a lot of tourists get caught out by this. the air and water temperature might not be as high as you think.

here's a short video i put together. it will give you a flavour of diving the poor knights and a few of the wrecks in the area.

[video=vimeo;122169997]https://vimeo.com/122169997[/video]

Hi Andrew, I've just booked a trip for March 2016. Would love to see your video but can't see the link in your post above. If you could repost that would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

It may be the fault of my pathetically old mac. I've a new one coming soon, so i'll come back this then! Thanks for trying :)

I'll just go with the theory that the diving looks so amazing and that a year is too long to wait!!

It seems I can't view any Vimeo from my laptop or phone. But all good at work. WOW!!! That is brilliant. I hhope I get viz like that but I might be a little early.

Looks so beautiful - can't wait! Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom