Single or Double Hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonbeans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hummm, I wonder:
Bubblecomparison-1.jpg

You wonder........?

Is the story these two images are supposed to convey “bubbles in your face suck” or “overburdened with crap sucks”? I gave double hoses up years ago and hated the little bit of time the Navy forced me to go back. On the other hand, less crap was sure nice.

Rebreathers give you double hoses, no bubbles at all, but lots more crap… we are still working on the grand compromise.

Is the story these two images supposed to convey “bubbles in your face sucks” or “overburdened with crap sucks”? I gave double hoses up years ago and hated the little bit of time the Navy forced me to go back. On the other hand, less crap was sure nice.

Rebreathers give you double hoses, no bubbles at all, but lots more crap… we are still working on the grand compromise.

I think the photos clearly tell a story. You can agree it is a problem or not but the bubbles in the face and noise complaints are a regular one on this forum. The bubbles are not just annoying to see but as they collapse they pound the ears with mini sonic booms. But, I think I will keep and use double and single hose regulators for what each are good at.

N

The funny thing is “less crap” was the first thing that struck me. It seems like a constant battle not to feel like this guy.

View attachment 142753

Hey, I saw that guy at Alexander Springs. Seriously, he had nearly that much equipment. I think he was over equipped for what is essentially a swimming pool.

stroke_15.jpg

N

Is the story these two images are supposed to convey “bubbles in your face suck” or “overburdened with crap sucks”? I gave double hoses up years ago and hated the little bit of time the Navy forced me to go back. On the other hand, less crap was sure nice.

In terms of OC it's not going in the right direction at all.

in 1985 when I started diving, you had a large volume mask with what amounted to a shelf that deflected any stray bubbles to the sides. You also had a full sized second stage with a decent sized exhaust T so between the two, bubbles were a non issue unless you were looking up.

Then, small became cool with low profile masks that sat close to your face and small sized and micro sized second stages with small exhaust tees became the rage. And surprise, surprise, bubble interference was now a problem again. Basically, the marketing folks said smaller was better, despite the practicality or engineering that may have suggested otherwise, and a problem was re-invented.

----

I don't mind the hoses along side my head and I think that in many ways a double hose reg can be a cleaner configuration.

I like not only the bubbles behind my head but also the diffusion of the bubbles that occurs with a double hose reg, especially when photographing reef dwellers. The last pretty fish trip I took with a single hose reg was a trip on the Spree to the Dry Tortugas, and it's probably the last pretty fish trip I'll take with a single hose, as the whole time I noted the fish were more hesitant to come in close than on prior trips with my PRAM. With the DH reg, the bubbles don't come out in the sudden burst you get with a single hose reg. Often the fish also see the bubbles behind your head, and then move up in front of you to watch them behind the "cover" of your head and camera.

There is always this, love my T2100:

IMG_0507.jpg

I probably have in the range of 50% of my lifetime dives on this very regulator. Mini mask and mini regulator.

N

I prefer side exhaust too. I always go back to my old Oceanic Omega, which replaced some early 70s Poseidons.

The main reason I blew off double hoses is they are relatively delicate and can’t perform as well in the optimum position, let alone any position. By delicate, I mean more in that pile of gear in an inflatable than in the water… although Mike Nelson had a lot of issues in the water. :wink:

Rebreathers sure are nice from the noise standpoint. I often consider building a pure O2 rebreather with a hydrostatic valve that inflates the bag below 25'. No depth gauge, watch, computer, BC or SPG needed. No decompression or ascent speed limitations are right up there too. It is easy to carry far more oxygen than I could stay down. Besides, running out in 25' isn’t exactly a crisis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom