single quick release on one shoulder strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buy my webbing from FredT. I haven't been able to find a local supplier, and Fred has the best price for the stiffer webbing.

O2BBubbleFree:
... so hope you don't mind me piping up...

I recently bought an old (classic?) plastic backpack and wing that I plan to use for a travel BC. It came with stiff webbing and a weight belt buckle on the left shoulder strap.

I thought I'd mention this as an alternative to the QR buckle because the weight belt buckle is simpler, made for stiff webbing, and there's no sewing involved. Besides, if you're into the classic good looks of a hog rig, a weight belt buckle won't look out-of-place.

Good Idea. My old BP had 3 large snaps on the shoulder.

There isn't any sewing involed - you use 2 stainless 'weight keepers' ( the kind that is unseriated) and a couple of bicycle innertube pieces. fold the webbing through the QR and the 'keeper' and use a innertube section to keep the loose end of the webbing tucked away. That way an in the field repair is possible if a break happens - Of course you'de need to carry a spare 2" QR.

CIBDiving:
Good Idea. My old BP had 3 large snaps on the shoulder.

There isn't any sewing involed - you use 2 stainless 'weight keepers' ...

Makes sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Dive-aholic:
I buy my webbing from FredT. I haven't been able to find a local supplier, and Fred has the best price for the stiffer webbing.

Rob, Is Fred's webbing different than the stuff from reefscuba.com?

Stephen, I haven't seen the webbing from reefscuba.com other than on the website. I think Fred's stuff is a little stiffer, though. PM me a mailing address and I'll send you a sample to check out.

Shoulder quick release is the way we used to do things thirty years ago. I got away from it with the advent of BC's. I'm transforming once again to a bpw set up. Don't think I'll go back to the shoulder buckle though. One more thing to go wrong.

Jim

If you use a Fastex-type QR, you can actually keep a continuous harness by spacing the clips any distance apart then just folding the webbing over.

If you cut the webbing, I'd suggest using a standard metal buckle, I know lots of people who do this without a problem.

OneBrightGator:
If you use a Fastex-type QR, you can actually keep a continuous harness by spacing the clips any distance apart then just folding the webbing over.

If you cut the webbing, I'd suggest using a standard metal buckle, I know lots of people who do this without a problem.

Wish I found this tip/idea of not cutting the webbing, but just leaving an extra length between the clips.

I don't like the idea of the metal buckle thou. I would think there is an entaglement problem where the buckle can be pulled open. For the waist, no big deal, but on my shoulder I'd be wary.

OneBrightGator,

Nice idea how far apart do you place yours? I am in the process of changing to a plate and clips was the one thing I wanted to add. Once, a long time ago my shoulder clips got me out of some trouble and I don't like the thought of being with out them.

Plug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom