Single steel tank setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nibl

Registered
Reaction score
I thinking about switching to sidemount (with an xDeep stealth) due to back problems.
Since most dives I do is 1 single tank dive, most dives will be with a single steel 12L 232bar tank (Which i think is close to a hp100 (98 cf at 3365 psi)).
According to some info i found online the tank (with valve/reg) should be about 9lb negative when full and 2lb when empty.

I think i'll need about 16lb of total lead (i need 12lb with an xDeep ghost). Any recommendation on how to wear the lead? I was thinking about 6lb "fixed" on my right (with tank on left side) and 4lb on a weight belt that can be rotated to compensate for used gas, and rest of weight on back. Does this sound reasonable?

Any other suggestions/tips?

I think you're gonna struggle... Do you have a better ref of your tank?

You'd be better off with 2 smaller tanks, adds to safety as well.

With the 12L tanks I have the possibility to use two tanks if needed for longer dives or when doing 2 dives.
Plus I already has the tanks. (and two smaller tanks cost twice as much to buy and service, and twice as much to fill since the only place to fill tanks locally charges per tank)

I have seen alot of divers using single aluminium(?) tank for sidemount in Thailand.
Why would it be more of a struggle compared with a single aluminium tank? The weight difference of a full/empty tank should be about the same, and the weight of the tank (without air) is "static" so should be easy to compensate for.

12l steel contain more air than an Al80, you have almost 10% more volume and 10% more pressure as well. So the shift in buoyancy starts to get noticeable and it can put some strain on the back to fix it.

They tend to be always negative, so you end up with weights on the other side to compensate for this, not necessarily bad, but you gotta work it out. Probably about "half the tank" should be compensated.

It's feasible, just not as simple as aluminium.

Back
Top Bottom