Sinking Boat = big problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt Spear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ran into some trouble this weekend. Video starts off with me on the kayak after I got back from doing some diving without the tank and realized I was sinking. I thought about calling for help, but decided to try and make it to a nearby island. A wave ended up knocking me off, and knew I was in trouble. Went for the phone for 911 but it had already got too wet and was dead. To make things worse the Mokulele express was strong that day and was sucking me away from the island. I feel lucky to have gotten out of this one with most of my gear. One question I had was if ocean safety/coast guard sends you a bill if they come to rescue you? That was my only reason for not calling when I was out of the water. Stay safe out there!

Glad you made it! The only thing that would have made it more exciting would have been a 12 foot tiger shark circling you! Felt very alone in that situation I'd bet? IMO you need more leashes to secure your gear.

When I dive SCUBA from my yak I turn the yak over to remove and replace the tank, everything must be secured or gone.

When I'm in danger of drowning and losing my gear, I'm usually not to worried about who will pay the rescue bill.

Ran into some trouble this weekend. Video starts off with me on the kayak after I got back from doing some diving without the tank and realized I was sinking. I thought about calling for help, but decided to try and make it to a nearby island. A wave ended up knocking me off, and knew I was in trouble. Went for the phone for 911 but it had already got too wet and was dead. To make things worse the Mokulele express was strong that day and was sucking me away from the island. I feel lucky to have gotten out of this one with most of my gear. One question I had was if ocean safety/coast guard sends you a bill if they come to rescue you? That was my only reason for not calling when I was out of the water. Stay safe out there!

That is a scary video. Hind sight is always 20/20, but wouldn't it have been possible to do one of the following:

1) inflate a BC that was sitting at the bow of your kayak to keep it from sinking

2) put the scuba unit on, inflate the BC, and surface swim with the kayak in tow to the island?

I am surprised to know that these things can sink. What caused it ?

Glad you handled it well and came out safe.

The Coast Guard definitely will not send you a bill for rescuing you. We (I’m a retired Coastie, so it’s still “we” in my heart) don’t want financial considerations to keep people from calling us as soon as they think they might need help.

Bills and fines for hoaxes or pollution? Certainly. For rescues? No.

Now, if it’s a non-emergency response—like if you’re out of gas on a clear, calm day—we’re obliged to give commercial outfits a chance to help you. And they might charge. But for a real emergency, no charge.

....That was my only reason for not calling when I was out of the water.

I thought it was because your phone got wet and was dead. I'm confused...

Glad it all worked out.

I wish the video played longer?

It looked like you had the hatch cover open/missing. once you removed the tank, you might have been able to lift the kayak, dump the water out and at least keep the empty boat afloat and then swim it toward shore? Is that what you did after the video discontinued? What happened to the hatch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom