Sint Maarten / Anguilla - Diving & Fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkmy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Staying in Orient Bay for 10 days or so. Looking for a reputable dive shop (maybe besides the google search). And what dives are must if they ask. And also a boat (preferably a local) to go fishing. We will go to Anguilla as well for a day or two if that make a difference. Any recommendations? All help is appreciated. Love this forum. Thanks in advance.

Dirk

Only have stayed and done diving on Dutch side. Staying in Orient Bay Area the closest dive op would probably be Octopus Diving located in Grand Case. From what I've seen they get pretty good reviews. The next closest dive ops would be in Phillipsburg around Great Bay. There are several good sites in this area. Great Bay really isn't a bad drive from where you are, ~ 20-25 minutes and just one main road as I recall. Octopus Diving has a shop there also. Octopus has a nice website showing info about all of the dive sites. I went with Scuba Fun 2 years ago and they were good - left my gear with them and scheduled some days on the fly as my back bothered me a bit. They were very accomodating. The only drawback with ops in this area, IMO, is they will get divers from the cruise ships, so you don't know what mix of divers you'll be with.

Ocean Explorers, in Simpson Bay, was a good op to dive with also, but it would be about a 45 minute drive from Orient Beach. Enjoyed the wrecks in this area, but liked the Great Bay Area for diving otherwise. Saw reef sharks on almost every dive.

Going back to St. Maarten in a month and haven't decided yet who I'll dive with. If anyone chimes in with good info about sites on the French side I may have to try that. I'm also thinking of going to Saba one day to dive.

Staying in Orient Bay for 10 days or so. Looking for a reputable dive shop (maybe besides the google search). And what dives are must if they ask. And also a boat (preferably a local) to go fishing. We will go to Anguilla as well for a day or two if that make a difference. Any recommendations? All help is appreciated. Love this forum. Thanks in advance.

Dirk

Meant to add that you can do a search on "St. Maarten" using the search field box near the top of this page and find a few old threads that may have some pertinent information.

Dirk

You didn't indicate when you were going. Hope you weren't there this past week. Will be looking to change my travel plans next week as I hear many resorts are shutting down until the end of the year and I doubt the airport will be ready for tourist travel by the end of this month.

We are actually flying out on Dec 27th. We found out yesterday that the condo we are staying at did not receive much damage. Might have caught a break on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom