Sinus pressure while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Short story I went diving with a sinus cold and had a lot of trouble getting down and then coming up. I did 2 dives like that and on the 2nd dive I came up with a bloody nose. Only on my right side. It is still bleeding when I blow my nose 24hr later. My head still hurts mainly behind my eyeballs.

Anybody had anything like this??? What did you do?

This sounds like a fairly clearcut case of sinus barotrauma. You have damaged the lining of the sinus cavity, most likely, enough to make it bleed. The fact that you are still seeing blood may be due to the fact that you are still draining mucus which is bloody from the dive day, or may be because continuing to blow your nose is reaggravating the trauma, or you may have sufficient damage to cause persistent bleeding. At any rate, I would not dive at all until this is entirely resolved -- meaning not just the bleeding, but the congestion and head pain as well. If you have persistent pain for more than a day or two, or any fever, or the stuff draining out of your nose looks purulent (thick, brown or green, or foul-smelling) then you need to see a physician for a course of antibiotics.

Thank you just what I was looking for. I have been sick for a while and was thinking of taking a month off of diving after this episode. Taking antibiotics now.

anybody post anything at all to which you may think relivent

WOW this got moved (with out notice) and I could barely find it. I am sure nobody will even see it in this section so you mind as well delete it.
It's certainly more appropriate here and yes it will be seen by many. Mods often leave redirect notices in old forums and/or PM the thread originator but while that may vary, all you have to do is check UserCP for threads you've posted in as long as you have not turned off Auto-subscribe. UserCP is the page I have bookmarked. Don't you follow discussions where you have posted before?

I moved it, and I sent a PM notifying that I had done so.

Well 1stI off I am not mad but I did not receive a pm. it also is not in my user cp and I can't find it anywhere nor is there a redirect thread in the original section I posted it in

Sorry, then! I did write one; don't know in what part of cyberspace it ended up.

Sorry, then! I did write one; don't know in what part of cyberspace it ended up.

Hey no worries I am not even worried about that. Just looking for posts that relate to my problem. Thank you for your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom