• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sipadan vs East Kalimantan

Discussion in 'General Asia' started by FilmDork, Jan 13, 2020.

1. FilmDork

FilmDork Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    We wanted to combine both (4 nights on Sipadan liveabord then 5-6 days diving Derawan area), but due to the flight schedules, it was gonna force us into 3 days without diving if we went that route (overnight in Tawau when we disembark ---> overnight in Berau after flights from Tawau-Tarakan and Tarakan-Berau) ---> transfer to resort on day 3 but not allowed to dive that day). That just felt like way too much wasted dive time, so now we're stuck picking one or the the other.

Scuba Junkie's combo is interesting, but apparently they don't dive The Channel, which is supposedly the best site in the area and not one we wanna miss!

2. drk5036

drk5036 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Sipadan Liveaboard??? I think you must be mistaken, unless you’re going to be diving from one of those warships they park outside to protect against the pirates in the area...:rofl3:

3. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Isn't Celebes Sea lob starting up with a new to them boat?

4. FilmDork

FilmDork Angel Fish

Yeah, the Celebes Explorer 9.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  5. FilmDork

FilmDork Angel Fish

I'm not mistaken. Celebes Explorer 9, just started trips last year. But before that the Celebes Explorer had been around for years and years.

drk5036 and chillyinCanada like this.
  6. drk5036

drk5036 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Sorry, I’d never seen it mentioned before!

7. jjmochi

jjmochi Nassau Grouper

Oh that's interesting, does that mean you get to dive everyday at Sipadan? Their website is a bit unclear. Or is Mabul Kapalai only done as the night dive after a day of diving at Sipadan?

Divers are brought to Sipadan (guaranteed) along with Mabul, Kapalai and Si Amil islands.

8. MomZo

MomZo Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If it is like Celebes Explorer LOB before, it is the only guarantee to dive every single day to Sipadan (the boat stays nights and days around the island)
    It is a great option if you want to dive Sipadan, but it is definitely not cheap!

9. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    May I ask exactly how the problem of the diving permit affects Sipadan? If one books with large advance there should be no problem, right? Do they release the permit only for few dives per person?

10. Luko

Luko Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    There are about 140 permits issued/divers allowed everyday diving Sipadan. The whole number of permits/day is shared but fixed per operation/accomodation, the historical ones (Borneo Divers, SMART, Kapalai, SWV ) have the biggest number of all.
    So your chance of diving Sipadan depends on many factors : size of the resort, number of divers booked into the resort, high/low season and of course duration of stay.
    My calculation at the time (some years ago) were that Borneo Divers, SWV and the Oil Rig had the more possible chances due to the size and occupancy rate of the resorts, while SMART and SJ had the least. I've already been in August and only visited Sipadan twice within a week while two weeks after CNY I could go everyday on 4 days.

Sbiriguda and chillyinCanada like this.