Site recommendation for 1 day of boat diving on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy's is no more local than any of the other rental companies. Andy sold out a long time ago. Go with the cheapest.
By the way, once you add in the cost of a local licence, environmental taxes, second driver premium etc. car rentals are not such a bargain.

Have used Andy's twice. We usually research everything we do for the cheapest price. You have to walk across the parking lot to get there (3-5 min), and drop it off in the same place.

We had a car for 2 weeks earlier this year and had a chance to find out about their service. We went out one afternoon to find that we had a flat tire (while staying on the East End at Compass Point.) I called Andy's and was told I could change the tire and exchange cars at the Andy's on the East End the next day. Found the tire was rusted on so called Andy's back. They wanted me to wait until the next day for someone to come out and swap cars, but I told them I'd like a refund for a day of rental. They sent someone who came within an hour in the same model car (in case we needed to swap), who also couldn't change the tire, but repaired the flat and aired it up enough to drive. He drove it to a gas station and checked and filled all of the tires.

All turned out okay.

I've had a flat tire with an Andy's car as well. Should not have occurred. When we went to change, it was obvious that the tire was worn down completely to a slick, as were the rest of the tires.
Now, I always inspect the tires carefully when checking the vehicle for dents at the start of the rental.

Okay, your shared experiences with Andys convinced me to change my reservation to Avis. Andys is local in the sense of not being an international chain but Avis on GC despite being a national chain is I believe owned by a group or individuals who owned another local company from way back when. Avis is more convenient a walk and closer and their service has been excellent.

We used Avis our last trip to GC and had a great experience. The car was very clean, in great shape, and we had no hassle with the workers at the desk for check in/return.

As for dive sites, my favorites are Big Tunnels and Trinity caves for the west end diving and Ironshore Gardens if you go out to the East End. The site directly off of Ocean Frontiers' dock almost always has more than one reef shark out and about if you go in the afternoon. We did a North Wall dive last trip, too, and it was an amazing dive. I can't remember the name of the site, but it wasn't even a top 3 choice because all of those already had boats hooked in when we got out there so we cruised around to find something. It's great diving up there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom