For Sale Six Aluminum 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I was the first responder to his post. I was going to buy all 6. But three of the six are bad alloy tanks. Literally.

Google bad alloy scuba tanks.
The few dive shops in the area refuse to fill that particular alloy.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, which is why I didn't mention before they sold.

Why the skepticism?

2 of the tanks are old enough to have been made out of 6351 alloy and many from that time likely were, which has had problems in the past (hence why it's not used today). Some shops won't fill tanks made pre-1990 because of that potential issue. Many don't care however. If they pass hydro and vis then there should be no issues barring an overfill etc, but some shops still won't fill them (either out of fan abundance of caution - a legitimate reason imo, or because selling you another tank is more profitable and easier than keeping track of what cylinders may develop issues). An eddy current test should be conducted on the tanks as well when they're hydro'd.

Fortunately for me, the two pre-1990 tanks have serial numbers from catalina, not luxfer, and so the alloy concern isn't an issue with them from my research (and what the certified testing facility seems to think as well since they passed them without issue).

There's no profit in aluminum tanks. None to really speak of for the floor space they take up. So it's not that. I do have a close friend who's employee was killed by one of these tanks.

Also, if the info I was given was correct, three of the tanks were luxfer exactly the dates of the bad alloy.

No worry, someone just offered me 25 tanks for $25 post 90 and in hydro. I'll add them to my collection. :)

There's no profit in aluminum tanks. None to really speak of for the floor space they take up. So it's not that. I do have a close friend who's employee was killed by one of these tanks.

Also, if the info I was given was correct, three of the tanks were luxfer exactly the dates of the bad alloy.

No worry, someone just offered me 25 tanks for $25 post 90 and in hydro. I'll add them to my collection. :)

Only two were pre-1990, and their identification numbers show that they're Catalina, who didn't use 6351 alloy and were manufacturing with 6061 at the time anyway. The oldest Luxfer was 1990, and they switched to 6061 in 1988 for US tanks.

I'd take in-hydro tanks at $1/each too if I were you though!

The tanks, plus hydro/vis/fills, ended up costing me $71/each, which is a lot cheaper than anything else I've found around here so I'm quite happy with what I got for the money.

Not $1ea
$25each. :)

Back
Top Bottom