Size of DR Z-Knife Blades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantctobin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey, i was planning on removing the blade from the dr Z-Knife to lube it with silicon grease (prevent it from rusting) but as I was removing it, I accidently cracked the blade. Does anyone know what size blades these have in them, or would it be easier just to replace it?

Thanks,
GT

if you have the large handled version, it says a utility knife blade ...

"Cold-Water Z-Knife XL

Do you dive with extra-thick wetsuit gloves or three-finger mitts? You'll like this Extra-Large version of the Cold Water Z-Knife. Not only does it have an even larger handle, but you can also disassemble and replace its cutting edge with any utility knife blade."
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/cutting.shtml

Thanks, but im using the small version and a regular size utility blade wont fit. I guess ill just go buy another one tomorrow. thats whats good about them; they're cheap

Good to know, re the cold water version. My Z knife rusted up pretty quick, shame to know the blade can't easily be replaced. Perhaps I'll pick up the cold water version for the next round.

woohoooo - i just bought one of these today.... will ask our local guy about replacing blades

but youre right.. they so cheap that if it breaks its kinda ok.... kinda :wink:

You can replace the smaller z knife blades. You need the 9mm utility knife blades. But be warned it is difficult to get the blade back in, especially if there is corrosion that has fouled up the slot the blade sits in. Be careful it is a great way to cut yourself.

Also in my experience you donÃÕ need to put the small nut and bolt back in cause the blade just wedges really tightly.

Hey, i was planning on removing the blade from the dr Z-Knife to lube it with silicon grease (prevent it from rusting) but as I was removing it, I accidently cracked the blade. Does anyone know what size blades these have in them, or would it be easier just to replace it?

I tried about five different blades at Home Depot. Only one fit. I beleive it was "gold" something. I'll check my knife later and see if the name is still there.

Terry

Went through a few of the small DR safety knives and they would not hold up at all. When you needed them they had no edge even if they didn't look to badly rusted yet. Finaly broke down and got one of these. Fits in the same pouch as the DR (with a little mod). Bought spare blades with the knife and now I have 5 blades in my toolkit not doing anything. I don't even take the knife out of the sheath after saltwater dives and the thing looks brand new - no rust - and the edge is still great.

I know it's a little more up front, but well worth it to have a quality cutting tool when you really need one.

http://www.safetyknife.com/productspecsheet.asp?product=Aluminum 4 Inch Hook Knife Slotted

Willem

Went through a few of the small DR safety knives and they would not hold up at all. When you needed them they had no edge even if they didn't look to badly rusted yet. Finaly broke down and got one of these. Fits in the same pouch as the DR (with a little mod). Bought spare blades with the knife and now I have 5 blades in my toolkit not doing anything. I don't even take the knife out of the sheath after saltwater dives and the thing looks brand new - no rust - and the edge is still great.

I know it's a little more up front, but well worth it to have a quality cutting tool when you really need one.

http://www.safetyknife.com/productspecsheet.asp?product=Aluminum 4 Inch Hook Knife Slotted

Willem

This is an old thread, but thanks for the link to the interesting product.

If I hadn't already discovered the Benchmade Rescue Hook 7 made from rust-proof X15.tn, I'd probably pick one up to try.

Back
Top Bottom