Sizing a Pelican case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to get a pelican case for a new housing. My question for the group is, what do you consider an optimal margin of space to be for a case? In other words, how much larger than the dimensions of my housing should my case be? I am looking for optimal, i.e. neither so small as to run an excessive risk of damage nor so large as to be unnecessarily bulky.

Thanks very much for your thoughts and ideas.

Generally, it depends on the mass of the object you are putting in the case. If it is something light, like a strobe or instrument, then you can often get away with about 1" of space (that's two cubes from the Pluck & Pick foam) on each side. If it is something that has greater mass, and therefore more of a tendency to keep moving when slammed down or bumped, then you need to upsize the foam thickness, or even better, add another layer of protection that spreads the impact from a small area across a larger area of the foam, which will absorb the energy better. Something as simple as wrapping the content in a canvas carry bag will do a great job of that, and allow you to keep your case dimensions to a minimum.

The other consideration with whether or not you plan to use it as a carry on or check it. I have their model 1510 which, I believe, is the largest that meets carry on restrictions. I have removed all of the foam and use tee shirts as padding for the sensitive stuff. I always carry it onto the plane, never checked. Thus I can get away with a little less padding since I know how it will be handled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom