Sizing of Bare vs Henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mermumsie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have experience with both Bare and Henderson women's wetsuits? I am purchasing a hooded vest/shorty to layer over my Henderson Neosport 3/2 wetsuit. The Bare Step-in Hooded Vest was highly recommended by my dive master. My Henderson wetsuit is a size 8. Based on the Bare sizing chart, it looks like I would take a size 6 in that brand. Should I buy a size larger (8) in Bare since I want to layer it over my Henderson full wetsuit? Your input/advice will be appreciated!

I would only recommend that you put the hooded shorty under the full suit if possible. Would probably be more comfortable, less leaky, and easier to put on.

I’m going to recommend you try it on. Sizing not only differs between manufacturers but also between wetsuits from the same manufacturer. I have a Bare Elastek from several years ago that’s a size 12 and a more recent Henderson Thermaxx in a size 8 and they both fit properly! I also tried on a Bare Nixie recently and size 10 was the appropriate size for me...so no consistency.

I have relatively recent experience with both brands. Henderson seems to have changed the cut/sizing of their suits last spring, so the size difference may be because of that if it's a newer Henderson. I have workn a 12 in a Henderson for years, nothing has changed, and now the 12 is a full size too small. I wear a 12 in BARE suits. I have previously owned the BARE step in vest, and found that they seem to have accounted for a wetsuit under it in sizing them. I went with the same size I would be in their wetsuits in the + version (so a 12+). I'm not sure if that's an option for the smaller sizes, but it allowed a little extra breathing room with my 7 mil suit under it.

Sounds like wetsuits are like all other womens clothing. The sizing changes from one style to another within the same brand, and from brand to brand, and from year to year! Grrrr!

Sounds like wetsuits are like all other womens clothing. The sizing changes from one style to another within the same brand, and from brand to brand, and from year to year! Grrrr!

Well said!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom