SK7 compass mount disassembles itself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Earlier this summer, I got an SK7 compass and bungee mount. After about 65 dives, I've noticed what seems to be a recurring problem: The mount and compass try to disassemble themselves. Sometimes I have it on my arm, sometimes it stays in my BC pocket, but I've noticed twice that the bit that the bezel attaches to starts to rotate and the compass module will get turned. Its an easy fix to get everything back into position but it seems like I shouldn't have to. Does this happen to anybody else or am I missing some little groove (other than the one that lines up with the red line on the module) that keeps everything more permanently aligned?

Earlier this summer, I got an SK7 compass and bungee mount. After about 65 dives, I've noticed what seems to be a recurring problem: The mount and compass try to disassemble themselves. Sometimes I have it on my arm, sometimes it stays in my BC pocket, but I've noticed twice that the bit that the bezel attaches to starts to rotate and the compass module will get turned. Its an easy fix to get everything back into position but it seems like I shouldn't have to. Does this happen to anybody else or am I missing some little groove (other than the one that lines up with the red line on the module) that keeps everything more permanently aligned?

Your bezel is has too much friction. When you turn the bezel it turns the white legs the bezel is attached to.

This happens usually when you get sand or grit between the two.

Remove the bezel and the legs and squirt some WD40 or similar lube into the space between them. Rotate the bezel until it's turning freely, repeat as necessary.

Once the bezel turns freely the legs won't rotate in the mount and everything stay put.

Tobin

I've never had that problem. We have at least four SK-7s in DSS mounts, and have gone through several more modules (they eventually leak).

Thanks Tobin, I'll give that a try. The bezel does feel a bit stiff but it's always been that way so I figured it was normal, guess not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom