Skin Bends Patho Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I know that skin bends is a form of DCS and can be associated with neurological DCS. But I have noticed over the past year or so that there are numerous posts from divers with cutaneous symptoms only and that, at least on SB, it is most often women and most frequently in fatty tissues. But when posts involve neurological systems, its seems more often men that report it.

So, is the underlying pathophysiology the same for both cutaneous and neurological dcs? My understanding is that neurological dcs arrises when bubbles enter the arterial system and lodge in the brain or spinal cord. Is this also true for all cutaneous dcs or is it possible for the bubbles to form in the fatty tissues themselves (possibly a reason more common in women) as in other Type 1 episodes of dcs- joint symptoms or do skin bends only occur if bubbles make it to the arteries?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom