skin diving after scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nodecolimits

Reaction score
I wonder if skin diving is risky just after scuba.
I can skin-dive upto 25 metres.But the dive-time is 30 sec. to 3 minutes.

Thanks for information

Dear NDL:

It is quite intense exercise and is generally not recommended.

Dr Deco

Hi nodecolimits,

Not only is strenuous exercise not recommended in that it may contribute to the formation of microbubbles, but it is possible for additional NO2 loading to occur with repeated, deep free dives.

Taking a stroll and enjoying the company/scenery during surface intervals or during the first several hours after the last dive is a much better idea.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Skin diving after scuba is danegerouse. Snorkeling on surface may be ok, but no more than that, aspecialy if you get as deep as you said.

The reason is, that you increase and decrease size of bubbles, and change the saturation values of the tissues so fast. There were cases, in which such action coused "Explosive decompretion", a very rare, and very dangerouse (I belive it's 100% fatality) type of decompression (ok, It did happen to comercial divers, after bounce dives, but still...).

Hi Liquid,

What "nodecolimits" is proposing does not resemble the conditions involved in "explosive decompression" as I understand them.

Could you elaborate?

Thanks.

DocVikingo

I'll be happy to.

It's a special kind of decompretion, very rare, that happens when some kind of "triger" is activated, that does a sudden change in the tissues ability to hold disolved gasses. What happens is a "sudden" decompression in all the saturated tissues, kind of like maibe, dumping someone into space, only not as radical. When it happens, what you see on the victim is blood coming of all the body holes.

I know of 2 trigers that can activate it: Hot shower and skin diving after diving. It is VERY rare, and I know of 2 cases (a friend of mine witnesed them) of it, one for each triger.

Sounds as though someone experienced “industrial strength” effervescence.

Dr Deco

Hi Dr Deco,

Think we should lobby for an ICD code for that condition?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

The same things happen to the free diver that happens to the scuba diver or any other person at depth. There are physical laws that cause changes in the partial pressures of gases and the effect occurs due to the effects of depth/pressure and time spent at depth. This time is not long, but just long enough to screw up your residual nitrogen and your off-gassing of N2. This will alter your status on your computer and on your tables, affecting your next dive profile.

So - you get nitrogen saturation only to the extent of the time spent at depth. Therefore nitrogen narcosis is not usually a problem. Decompression sickness is not a problem unless the free diver does repetitive dives without off-gassing. However, native free divers develop conditions similar to DCS variably called by local names, such as 'taravana' in the Tuamotus.

(See Taravana on our web site)
http://www.scuba-doc.com/taravana.html

Hope this is helpful!
scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom