Skin problems when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have similar problems and the culprit is the sunscreen in my case. My pores get clogged so badly, I end up with painful acne afterward.

Doctor has diagnosed me with extremely sensitive skin and told me best to avoid sun, makeup, and sunscreen :(
No easy solution, best method is to improve diet & lifestyle.
In mean time, I wear waterbased sunscreen, hat, and long sleeve for dive trip.

Best consult your doctor first.

I wonder if you're using things like sun blocker and are allergic to it? I broke out after using a coppertone product and avoid all sunscreens, opting for a hat and staying in the shade.

I have similar problems and the culprit is the sunscreen in my case. My pores get clogged so badly, I end up with painful acne afterward.

Doctor has diagnosed me with extremely sensitive skin and told me best to avoid sun, makeup, and sunscreen :(
No easy solution, best method is to improve diet & lifestyle.
In mean time, I wear waterbased sunscreen, hat, and long sleeve for dive trip.

Best consult your doctor first.

I better solution than avoiding an activity you enjoy is to cover up from the sun. We offer a good selection of lycra tops, separate bottoms, matching lycra hood and even a face shield for the surface time. A hat and sunglasses and you are pretty well covered. The lycra can be worn under a typical wetsuit, so there may be no reason to remove during the time on the water.

Probably better for the environment and your health than using a ton of sun screen.

Dive Skin Rashguard 3 Piece Package | MAKO Spearguns

MDSR3P-2T.jpg

MTSCARF-2T.jpg

I wear a Dakine Surf Hat while diving. The bill is stiff so it won't cover my mask, and I have sun protection on the surface. I would love to have one of these with Mako on it! (Hint, hint, hint @MAKO Spearguns ).

DKN08660375-2T.jpg

I will take it under advisement Pete. We are constantly expanding and fine tuning our selection of products.

Sun protection is a bigger issue than many people realize, a few hours of inadvertent exposure can ruin an otherwise perfect dive vacation.

Yeah, neoprean was my culprit! Red itching rash that only Claritin resolved....so I no longer wear any neo!

I wonder if putting on a layer of coconut oil prior to going in the water might help. It may clog your pores, but it may stop other things that your skin reacts to, from clogging your pores. I try to rinse my hair with fresh water prior to every dive because I was told that if the hair shaft is filled with fresh water it won't absorb the salt water so easily (can't definitively say this is scientifically true, but my hairdresser can't tell when I've been on a dive trip). The same idea might work for your skin. Maybe?

The Chairman, did you actually carry the hat while underwater??? That's really cool :)

I dont carry it underwater: I wear it. It keeps the jellies off my ears underwater and the sun off when topside.

upload_2017-11-7_6-10-43.png

Assisting an adaptive diver for Diveheart.

Back
Top Bottom