SL960D refresh rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uspap

Contributor
Reaction score
I have double strobes on the sealife dc500. It seems that it takes a long time for the strobes to be ready to fire for the second shot. Are there any upgrades or add ons that you know about that would give me a quicker refresh rate? If not what strobes would be adaptable to this camera with a quicker recharge rate?

you can check recycle times on various strobes by following the link below:

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

Specs supplied by the manufacturer of the strobe.

Recycle rates of strobes vary depending on many variables. Some of those variables might include battery chemistry (nicad, nimh, alkaline, oxyride, etc), state of battery charge, and ambient temperature (warmer water =faster recycle time, colder=slower). Recycle rates are usually timed from after a full dump of the capacitor. Time published does not necessarily indicate that the capacitor is fully charged. I assume batteries were at room temperature. If you are shooting some form of ttl or your manual strobe setting is less than a full dump, you can expect a quicker recycle time.

Some battery chemistries may offer faster recycle time but offer less flashes per charge (in case of recycle batteries).

hth,
b

Cool. The water temp where I dive is 52 degrees + or-. I am using Nimh batteries. If I kept the batteries warmer would I get a better refresh rate? Thanks for the info.

Not sure how you would keep batteries warmer when they'd be located inside a strobe submerged in water.........

To follow up on how various battery chemistries effect recycle rates, and using the batteries listed below:

# Nickel Metal Hydride: SANYO Twicell 2700 Series, HR-3UG, 1.2V, 2,700mAh
# Nicad: GP 100AAKC, KR6, 1.2V, 1,000mAh
# Alkaline: Maxcell ALKALINE ACE, LR6(K), 1.5V
# Lithium 1.5V: FUJIFULM/Energizer LITHIUM, FR6, 1.5V
# Oxyride: Panasonic Oxyride, ZR6Y, 1.5V

here's a list of published recycle times for the Inon Z-240 :

# AA NiMH batteries: 1.6 seconds minimum (2,700mAh)
# AA Nicad batteries: 1.5 seconds minimum (1,000mAh)
# AA Alkaline batteries: 2.3 seconds minimum (1.5V)
# AA Lithium batteries: 2.5 seconds minimum (1.5V)
# AA Oxyride batteries: 2.1 seconds minimum (1.5V)

And this is how your choice in battery chemistry may affect the flashes per charge:

# AA NiMH batteries: approximately 320 flashes (2,700mAh)
# AA Nicad batteries: approximately 120 flashes (1,000mAh)
# AA Alkaline batteries: approximately 220 flashes (1.5V)
# AA Lithium batteries: approximately 380 flashes (1.5V)
# AA Oxyride batteries: approximately 250 flashes (1.5V

Specs for your strobe do not appear in any publications (hard copy or web) that I have been able to find. And in my using an Inon Z-240 for example, I do not wish to imply that your strobe may demonstrate similar characteristics. I am only attempting to show how battery chemistry potentially influences many factors of strobe performance, including recycle times.......

ds,
b

Back
Top Bottom