SL961 Digital Pro Flash head removable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sed6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Title says it all. There is a lot of fiber optic cable there, leading me to believe it may be quickly and easily removable UW. I read the instructions online and saw no mention of it. And while I'm asking, can I cut the fiber optic cable? Any tips on that? Thanks all!

-Scott

I wouldn't cut it unless you had a cutter desigined for fibers. Also don't kink it either. Fiber optical cable is pretty tought stuff but it is glass and cutting is likely to shatter that glass on teh end and impair light transmission...

I thought it was glass myself, however the instructions have you bending the end 90 degrees, making about a 1/4 inch radius. I wouldn't think glass could take that tight radius and thought maybe it was a high tech plastic.

Anyone know if the head is removable?

My cable broke at the strobe connection a couple of weeks ago. I snipped a small bit off with scissors, reconnected it to the housing and tested... no issues

Title says it all. There is a lot of fiber optic cable there, leading me to believe it may be quickly and easily removable UW. I read the instructions online and saw no mention of it.

You can loosen & remove the bolt at the top to remove the head. Not sure why you'd want to do this UW. Guess that you'll have to hold it on your hand or put it on an extension arm. Also the padded handle can be separated from the base with some force. I don't believe that Pioneer intended either of these to be done routinely.

Also the optic cable can be cut successfully as previously described. Just leave a strong 1/8" of glass exposed.

Great info, thanks guys!

-Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom