Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last 4 words of your response say everything...did you read my post entirely? Did you skip the part about sleeping in jumper and jeans and meeting in the middle? Where did I say anything was wrong or people should be different? One thing i will say - your response is the only one in this thread thats been a personal attack - I very respectfully stated this was not a personal attack on @drrich2 . I used the phrase burn me at the stake expecting what you chose to do, go on a personal attack. I did not say anyone was wrong and people should be different. I'm not that sort of person. I don't put words in peoples mouths. Im speaking specifically about air con wars.

By saying people don't understand how miserable people from other climates are you appear to have echoed my "baffled" comment - seems you are baffled by people not understanding why you are miserable, indeed it does work both ways..

We work in 24c aircon buildings and public buildings are all set to 24c. Personally I find that a bit cool as i have about zero body fat to keep me warm, 26c would suit me all year round but I know that's not gonna happen, so, we deal as you say. Because I say a mindset is the polar opposite to mine on climate does not mean anywhere I stated its wrong/you should yield to my way or its the highway, but here we are. AFAIK LOB cabin shares are allocated without the boat owner sitting there going hmm, we can't put this Australian in with that American and we can't Put that Czech in with the South African because they come from different climates so we will match the Australian and the South African and the American and the Czech. Am I supposed to happily freeze all night and not have it impact somewhat on my time on board because as I said, im hoping to have an awesome trip too. Im thankful that there has been common ground found if odd - Linda in a sheet me in Jeans Jumper all the blankets - I'm saying I'd be unhappy sharing with a person from anywhere who said the aircon better be polar! Because that clearly shows that person has no regard for anyone else's comfort and is unwilling to come to a compromise regardless of it being at the cost of another person's experience.
As other responses have said, shared cabins with complete strangers randomly assigned can be problematic. How problematic depends on each parties willingness to 'deal'.
You've gone to a great deal of effort to misconstrue everything I said. Whatever.

Centrals another thing that "baffles" me - and I ask this from a diver and sailor standpoint - did you get much sleep overall - ive always felt really sorry for deck sleepers - mostly because I'm a chronic insomniac and have a habit of roaming around when everyone is sleeping. The last two LOBS ive done have had deck sleepers who both said they chose to sleep outdoors because it added to their "being with nature" vibe - one aussie, one German. The Aussie guy opted to snore outdoors and my God he did that well. Perhaps IM the worst thing on a LOB
When I am COMFORTABLE I can sleep anywhere!!!
Comfortable is the key!
I have seen many tourists/travllers carried their own favourite pillow everywhere. I would love to do that but just too bulky to carry around in the bag or hand carry!
"Being with nature"! Not my cup of tea.

FB_IMG_1598328413821.jpg

All things considered, especially right at the moment, my night in a tent at Tulumben wasn't a bad consolation prize. Not a bad first glance at a brand new day. I was diving less than 35 minutes later. Im very lucky that mosquito's and most bugs don't seem to like the taste of me, I haven't taken any anti malarials in decades. Those invisible tiny insanely itchy mites in sulawesi seem to love me though. They are devils work

Late to this thread. I have been to Weda, when the loudest noise was the hornbills flying overhead. I think the idea of sleeping pods tried out in a couple of cottage is a good idea. And the eco technology is improving all the time. If the pods are well insulated they should not put a strain on the electric. That leaves you free to enjoy the cottage with creatures and noises. As for travelling to Indonesia, I go there because it is uncomfortably hot, with voracious insect bites, appallingly noisy music blaring, noisy insects and lizards and things, the most beautiful diving, scenery, birds etc, and people with the loveliest smiles. The negatives on my list - I wouldn't want it any other way. I visit Indonesia for those things. But a calm quiet cool night helps keep mind and body together, but I would miss the sound of the geckos singing their lullaby. And as for the woman who had a screaming hissy-fit because some highly dangerous creature was in her room, shouldn't be allowed, owners and staff grossly negligent blah blah - it turned out to be some poor little gecko, not the Komodo dragon she described, well why do such people leave their hermetically sealed existence?

My life-long memory of Weda is waking up in the middle of the night, looking up through the mosquito net and seeing little twinkling stars. So beautiful. I decided I was dreaming and went back to sleep. Worked it out the following evening - the fireflies that lived in the tree next the cottage must have flown in. That was so indah.

Back
Top Bottom