Slight free flow.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would find 8-10 PSI creep in an atomic first stage unacceptable. I'm not convinced that it's the sole reason your 2nd stages are leaking, though. Assuming they're also atomic, they are balanced and with proper set up they should be able to tolerate a 10PSI difference in IP without bubbling.

Taking herman's advice of removing the 2nd stages and then attaching an IP gauge (presumably to a LP inflator hose) is a good idea except you need to have some way of releasing pressure in the first stage if you ever want to remove it from the tank after you're done. So keep a 2nd stage on it and just adjust it so that it doesn't leak at all. Then you can purge after you're finished with the IP check.

My regulators are older SP, which have some similarity to atomics, but the piston design is a little different. On yours I think there is a blunt, somewhat more rounded piston edge, like the MK25. This was done to increase air flow, but it does mean that IP creep is a little more likely if there is any sort of flaw on the piston edge or seat surface.

When I service my regs, I pressurize the reg and tap the purge 50-100 times to help set the piston in the seat securely, and leave them pressurized for an hour or so. If there is any creep at all after that, there's something wrong. Sometimes it's just a bad seat, sometimes the piston edge is scratched. Since you paid a service facility to do it, and they're presumably an authorized atomic shop, they should fix it at no cost. If they don't, contact atomic directly and see what they say.

I would find 8-10 PSI creep in an atomic first stage unacceptable. I'm not convinced that it's the sole reason your 2nd stages are leaking, though. Assuming they're also atomic, they are balanced and with proper set up they should be able to tolerate a 10PSI difference in IP without bubbling.

Taking herman's advice of removing the 2nd stages and then attaching an IP gauge (presumably to a LP inflator hose) is a good idea except you need to have some way of releasing pressure in the first stage if you ever want to remove it from the tank after you're done. So keep a 2nd stage on it and just adjust it so that it doesn't leak at all. Then you can purge after you're finished with the IP check.

My regulators are older SP, which have some similarity to atomics, but the piston design is a little different. On yours I think there is a blunt, somewhat more rounded piston edge, like the MK25. This was done to increase air flow, but it does mean that IP creep is a little more likely if there is any sort of flaw on the piston edge or seat surface.

When I service my regs, I pressurize the reg and tap the purge 50-100 times to help set the piston in the seat securely, and leave them pressurized for an hour or so. If there is any creep at all after that, there's something wrong. Sometimes it's just a bad seat, sometimes the piston edge is scratched. Since you paid a service facility to do it, and they're presumably an authorized atomic shop, they should fix it at no cost. If they don't, contact atomic directly and see what they say.
Thanks you for taking the time giving me your advice it’s much appreciated still have a lot to learn but everyone here has been fantastic giving their feedback and advice. Thank you once again.

Update:
I finally got sick of the never ending issues I was having and well honestly I’m not qualified, experienced or comfortable servicing my own regs to I brought it into a local shop who does service atomic. This was a different shop and tech than did the initial work. He has reported back that the 1st stage was missing a monel washer and the 2nd stage was missing a retaining ring for the diaphragm. He thinks this combination is causing my problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom