Slinging a 40cf pony on a BCD without many D rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D-ring on a belt at the side of the waist.....can be the same belt that weights are on, if you are carrying weights that way. The D-ring can even be a big fat O-ring. If you need an upper d-ring, one of these can be put almost anywhere. Removable Pin D-Ring Angled / Bent Version

The lower d-ring does not need to be on the BCD; it just needs to be in a convenient location, which will depend on YOUR size too.

Try a large rubber O ring on the shoulder strap.....we use them in sidemount on 2" webbing so it should fit over the plastic buckle. You can attach the deco bottles bolt snap to that. And as mentioned you could try the pin through the material for a lower attachment point. OR.....wear a weight belt with nothing on it but a D ring on it for an attachment point.

One consideration that I don't think has been mentioned is that the dive operator or boat captain may not allow you to dive like that. One of the things in tec courses is not to use jury rigged systems due to possible reduced reliability. One agency's manual goes so far to say, to not make anything that is commercially available.

One consideration that I don't think has been mentioned is that the dive operator or boat captain may not allow you to dive like that. One of the things in tec courses is not to use jury rigged systems due to possible reduced reliability. One agency's manual goes so far to say, to not make anything that is commercially available.
That's a good point. I took a closer look at my BCD and it looks like I actually do have a D-Ring on the bottom right of the BCD (in the picture it's on the left side on the bottom, kind of folded over in that picture).

The tank is out for hydro, but I believe I'll be able to successfully use that ring with the bcd without any problem. I would have preferred to sling it on the left side, but for now until I get a different bcd or system in place I may just use that as it means I don't need to alter anything.

That d-ring is probably made to clip on an SMB or some other accessory if it came from the factory like that. Between the two d rings, they need to be able to handle a worse case situation like climbing out of the water with both hands and the AL40 clipped on.

That d-ring is probably made to clip on an SMB or some other accessory if it came from the factory like that. Between the two d rings, they need to be able to handle a worse case situation like climbing out of the water with both hands and the AL40 clipped on.
Good point, I'll have to make sure it can hold the weight. It seems fairly rigid and secure enough to support it but I'll definitely have to test it and see. I know it's not going to be the ideal BCD for this kind of thing, but just something to make it work until I have the money for a bp/w.

Yeah I want to eventually switch to a bp/w so I think my best bet is to sell my current bcd and upgrade to a bp/w setup.

Dive gear express has a good bp/w setup for $300.00 dollars. Either a 25 pound single wing or a 40 pound double. I bought the single and am very happy with it.

d ring the lower end of the tank , you will have to put a line to extend it out etc ..............steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom