Slippery Slope - Doing my own ScubaPro Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finished rebuilding D400 #2... All went fine there - even rebuilt the poppet (little more info on that thread). Next on my D series builds will be the 350.

Ordered a reproduction purge cover from VDH for my 109 - hoping that might give a few more percentage points of performance (it already has the euro-poppet, new diaphragm, new exhaust diverter, etc. so it will be about as rebuilt as you can get, short of the S-Wing poppet).

Tridacna sent me a message about an older Air2 that he had, and we worked out a deal... which got me to thinking about my other Air2s - so I cracked open the equipment box, and dug out my old Air2 Gen 1 (from high school / college), and an Air2 Gen 3 (which was on a BC that I outgrew - sucks getting older and bigger) to get some pics... I also have a Air2 Gen 4 on my son's rig, and a Air2 Gen 5 on my most recent BC... So I will probably be starting another thread to go into detail on those, but figured i would start with a little info/parts seek here, along with a basic version pic comparison (minus Gen 2, which is more squared off than Gen 3).

The Gen 1 is missing the cap that goes on the exhaust valve - does anybody have a parts donor / stash of these ? Along those lines, there are various manuals etc. for the Gen 2 and later, but the only thing I can find for the Gen 1 is the parts diagram - does anybody have one they can forward (and I will repost for all to use)?

Anyway, here are the two units that I will be looking into rebuilding (along with the one that Tridacna is sending out).

Gen 1 ( 1979 - 1983 )
View attachment 486336

Gen 3 ( 1990 - 1999 )
View attachment 486337

Here are my others for reference for those looking at the differences - These have already been serviced or are fresh enough to not require service at this point.

Gen 4 ( 2000 - 2005 )
View attachment 486338

Gen 4 (note the cover pin, which differentiates from the Gen 3)
View attachment 486339

Gen 5 (aka restyled Air4 - 2005 and on)
View attachment 486340

Loving this thread.

I have two 1st Gen in unserviced working condition (I don't dive an air 2) if someone would put them to use. Reg set had the air 1 I was after.

Loving this thread.

I have two 1st Gen in unserviced working condition (I don't dive an air 2) if someone would put them to use. Reg set had the air 1 I was after.

Perhaps @aalbert could work out a deal with you and use the 1st gen he has in hand as a parts donor instead. I think I have a stash of 1st gen parts somewhere boxed away. After the house has recovered from renovations I'll try to dig it out.

Couv

New diaphragm cover for the 109 came in today... Seems a hair lower in height than the old, but is more supple... Installed and retuned .. at this point the only thing this one is missing is the S-Poppet , but I think I will just hold out for a very clean late model balanced adjustable ( in case you have one that you want to get rid of, I have the following available as trading material - For Trade - Misc U.S. Divers and Sherwood for Scubapro ). Haven't noticed a discernible performance difference, but I am sure it is there.

New diaphragm cover on the right (and seeing this pic makes me think a totally clear diaphragm and diaphragm cover would be pretty cool))
scubapro_109_new_diaphragm_cover.JPG

Work load is simmering down a bit, so a little spare time on eBay resulted in my purchasing a Mk20 w/ G250 and two consoles, as well as a Mk10 w/G250 and a console.

The G250 combo showed up today. Looks to be a post recall unit (two vents) and in pretty decent shape. Hooked it up to air, and no leaks were detected and performed reasonably (though the exhaust valves needed a little back pressure to unstick from the case).

I expect I will start the rebuild process on some of these pieces in the coming days/weeks.

Mk20, G250, Scubapro EDI computer, and traditional console

scubapro_MK20_G250_as_Purchased.jpg

Two vents indicate that the saddle has made its way through the recall program - Scubapro® Recalls MK 20 Scuba Regulators for Service

scubapro_Mk20_2vent_PostRecall.jpg

Mk10 and D350 as pictured by the seller - item is in transit, but from the photos I am expecting a clean unit.

scubapro_mk10_d350_May2019.jpg

Also sourced three service kits from a single seller - D400, G250 (with a covetable balanced poppet), and Mk20.

scubapro_rebuild_kits_mk20_g250_d400.jpg

Curiosity got the better of me, so I cracked open the G250 to see what poppet it had - was happy to see that it already had the balanced unit.

Found a little more corrosion inside than I expected, so it will be taking a long trip to the spa (acid bath).

scubapro_G250_2_coveroff.jpg

scubapro_G250_2_barrel_crud.jpg

scubapro_G250_2_internals.jpg

Realized that I had a rebuild kit laying around, so went ahead and cleaned the G250 up, and put her back together .. no exciting action shots, and fortunately no stabbing myself with o-ring picks.

scubapro_G250_2_postrebuild.jpg

Other D350 & Mk10 came in .... Looks impressively clean, though the depth gauge looks like it had some water intrusion etc. at some point in its life. Also I have started tagging regulators as they come in, as to their rebuild status, etc. so I can keep track of them.

scubapro_d350__3_mk10_asReceived_May2019.jpg

Back
Top Bottom