Slugs with geometric patterns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan, I was thinking like you, that it was an Aglajid. In line with Leslie's identification of these guys as acoel flatworms, here is Dr. Rudman's response from the Sea Slug Forum: http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=15761

"Dear Nick,
These are acoel flatworms. Not as colourful as the usually large polyclad flatworms, but the acoels often occur in very large numbers. I don't know if it is just coincidence that they have a forked tail, which looks very similar to that of Chelidonura, a genus of opisthobranchs which feed on them.

Your animal is probably the same species as the one in Atsushi Ono's message [#974]. Like most flatworms they move much faster than most sea slugs.

Best wishes,
Bill Rudman"

Nick - I heard about about the "love child". It's a reptantia nemertean, Drepanogigas (=Drepanophorus) albolineatus. The only records for it so far are from the Mediterranean. Very cool! Jon Norenberg, curator of Nemertea at the Smithsonian, is eager to hear from you about this specimen. I sent you his email via PM.

Calypsonick,

It's seams like every day you have a new slug or nudi! Too Cool! Every time I see one of you new posts, Timor rises on my must visit list :wink:

Here is an update on the second image, copied below, posted on this thread, thanks to:

Dr. Jon L. Norenburg
Invertebrate Zoology
Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History
http://nemertes.si.edu

Drepanogigas albolineatus

"I'm pretty excited about this worm because it was previously known from only a single specimen off Naples, Italy, described in 1895 and accompanied by a superb color lithograph. I got a picture a year ago that constituted the second record. Yours makes three. If it were not for the really distinctive pattern and relatively large size I would doubt the ID, but this seems unmistakable."

P2062508.jpg

Back
Top Bottom