Slurp gun for Lion Fish??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump

Contributor
Reaction score
SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pom
# of dives
None - Not Certified
OK...
For the little guys,
What about a slurp gun?
Need to figure out a way other than a bare hand over the intake obviously.
Flop top, slide lid...something.
Puncture/stick medical gloves.
Deal death blow somehow within the tube possibility.

Just riffing here.....
I have never personally used a slurp gun.

Ideas??

Chug
Has difficulty shooting 1 and 2 inch long fish.

Netting them works well.
I have a buddy who now has 4 of them in an aquarium.
He netted 5 on Breakers reef but gave one away.

I bagged 22 little ones in July using a jumbo (2 gallon) ziploc bag and my weight pocket (or something) to scare them into it. Then I'd smash their little heads with my flashlight or a handy rock or shell. The anemones I dropped them into gobbled them right up.
I like the ziploc because it takes up so little room and is easy to carry along on every dive.

The video is of David who I've watched and learned from. I'll keep reviewing video to see if I can find one that shows the process more clearly.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6659/davidkillswithstick.mp4

Of course, killing them this way is not nearly as fun as taking them out with a Hawaiian sling... but that doesn't work when they fit between the prongs!

Last edited:
Yikes, done with bare hands!!! A recipe for disaster. Although I applaud and respect your efforts. :clapping:

Please consider getting these, OK?

Yikes, done with bare hands!!! A recipe for disaster. Although I applaud and respect your efforts. :clapping:

That is pretty ballsy, but those spines will go right through any regular dive glove anyways. I use a a pair of Akona Kevlar gloves (the thin ones) and my hands still got mad holes in them bugging this past mini-season. I don't think they will offer much defense against lionsfish either. Need to get something super thick and/or just be super careful.

I didn't even see this part of your post before. It looks like you can get them as cheap as $30 here. It won't be long before they sell them with a picture of a dive flag on them for $90.

Those are the gloves I saw recommended at Blue Wild.

The Cozumel Marine Park gave out one SharpsMasterII glove to each registered boat, from what I understand, along with some other stuff - including one of those jumbo ziploc bags.

Watched, asked, and videoed a lot before I snagged my first one in the ziploc that I happened to have brought. Haven't felt in danger of being nailed, but a couple of pairs of the SMIIs are getting ordered before I get to go again.
And yes, those spines slide through the plastic bag like it's not there.
Don't know if I'd trust any dive glove against them.

Thanks for the applause. I don't encourage anyone to try to bag them -- it's a personal decision and a personal risk... I'll keep going after them, though!

Every time I see the stomach contents I get recharged. The little gray blob that used to be an octopus was a convincer for me to continue killing them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
OK...
For the little guys,
What about a slurp gun?
Need to figure out a way other than a bare hand over the intake obviously.
Flop top, slide lid...something.
Puncture/stick medical gloves.
Deal death blow somehow within the tube possibility.

Just riffing here.....
I have never personally used a slurp gun.

Ideas??

Chug
Has difficulty shooting 1 and 2 inch long fish.

This guy's gun is just really long. Very important in a slurp gun. I like his sidekick, too..Lionfish recycling. :D

I apologize if all you Lionfish thread people have seen this clip before....

YouTube - SNAPPER FISH EATS LIONFISH GRAND CAYMAN

Little short pole spear (18") with paralyzer tip. Lives in pony bracket. Best tool ever. Cut the heads off the lionfish while still on the spear. Use knife to leave their bleeding twitching bodies on the sea floor. They always get eaten. Maybe something will figure out how to eat them while they are still alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom