SM regs: XTX50 vs Dive Rite vs ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for SM regs to get over the winter. Need to save up.

My current (single tank BM) reg is an AL Legend LX Supreme. Pony reg is an Apeks XTX50. I like the way both breathe. I tried some Hollis regs at the TDI Mission Tech thing recently and I disliked how they breathed. Seemed very rough to me. DeepSix is not an option, as I'm a loyal supporter of my excellent LDS (DRIS). Chris even wrote recently that there are LDS that deserve the premium, and DRIS is one in my book. I did buy my SM rig used, though. SMS75 with the weight plate for $450 here on SB. I prefer buying new regs.

I'm looking at the Apeks XTX50 SM package vs the Dive Rite XT package at DRIS. Hog doesn't interest me as I have utterly no urge to tinker. I've been told they essentially breathe the same as Hollis regs. XTX50 package is $1550 and the DR is $849.

Sidemount Regulator Kit - Dive Right in Scuba

Nomad Sidemount Regs w/SPG - Dive Right in Scuba

How do the DR regs breathe compared with the XTX50? I don't just mean on the surface, but at depth.

I know someone who got the Halcyon package as it was less than the XTX50, and he said they breathe pretty nicely. Anyone have experience with them?

Halcyon Sidemount Regulator Package - Dive Right in Scuba

Thanks!

Hmm... in my opinion they are both great regs, but given the large price difference I would go with the Dive Rites. Both are balanced diaphragm designs, any perceived benefit of the XTX over the DR is minimal, and not justified in the cost.

I have been thinking of going sidemount so I have been searching also. My understanding is there is NO STANDARDIZATION with sidemount. However with regards to regulators there seems to be some consensus that you want first stages with rotating turrets and a port that faces down and second stages that can be converted from left to right hose feed or do not have an up or down (Poseidon, Oceanic Omega). Also brass and glass SPGs, although I an not sure if there is a preference in size. People argue over hose length, which is very confusing.

Of the packages you linked, the Dive Rite and the Apeks offer that at the prices shown. The Halcyon set you will need to upgrade for $40 additional. The Halcyon second stages are the Aura models and they are unbalanced. If you want balanced seconds you will need to upgrade to the Halo model for an additional $340. The Aura models are reversible (rebranded Scubapro R-380), the Halo models I do not believe are (rebranded Scubapro G-250V)

An XTX 50 is a very nice pony regulator, I would press this into service for your sidemount and just buy another one and the hoses and gauge. You do not need a pony with sidemount as you have two redundant air sources.

Last edited:
How can I tell if the XTX50 first stage on my pony is the preferred one for SM?

Yes, it does.

I started sidemounting with Apeks XTX50's DST's in 2009. I sold those and went to HOG D1's in 2010. The only thing I missed were the wide exhaust t's on the XTX series. That however is not worth paying double for. I was unaware there was tinkering involved in those regulators, I certainly hadn't tinkered with them other than for hose routing. I had both of them to about 140ft and again, couldn't tell a difference.

I then went to Poseidon in 2011 so that is a bit of a left hook, but have been with them since. Making a slight amendment to using Scubapro MK25 first stages *because I got them for a screaming deal, if I had to pay normal money I would have gone with Deep6*.

I know @victorzamora has HOG D3's and recently purchased Dive Rite XT's. I think the D3's are still his primary regulators with the XT's being stage regulators as well as his wife's primary regulators. I was unable to tell a difference in the water but he has more time on them together so can probably comment more appropriately. Most all of our dives are in the 100-110 ft range but also know he's had them to at least 130.

I am not a fan of the choice of first stage for the Halcyon kit due to lack of swivel. Great regs, made by Scubapro, but wrong first stages. At that price point, I'd be temped to recommend the Atomic M1 over the Apeks. Better breathing ime. Atomic, Scubapro, HOG D3, and Deep6 have the advantage of the regulator being a bit offset vs. centered like the Apeks design which makes hose routing a bit nicer ime and the fact that it can spin both forwards and backwards is sometimes convenient. Not one that would get me to spend more to get, but if I had to choose, it is a variable that is nice to have

So. What does this all boil down to. While I disagree with some of the comments that @ams511 made, particularly about the 5th port *only used by the Razor crowd*, and the left/righty *basically only used by the Dive Rite crowd and those of us that are strange*, the only thing really agreed upon almost universally is that the swivel turret is really nice for comfort on the left side, and to prevent kinking in single file exits on the right side. As you are open water, and diving an SMS75 with loop bungees I hope, neither really applies and neither are really required, especially at this level.
If you want to purchase new regulators because it's convenient, then I would purchase Dive Rite XT's. I would ask Mike to match the Cave Adventurers package for price and content *it's $50 cheaper and includes inflator hoses*.

Now. Here is what I would do if I were you, and what I did before getting what has no amounted to a ridiculous amount of regulators. Do what works. You have some great regs. There is nothing that says they have to be identical, nothing that says they have to be swivel turrets, nothing in the rule book about that.
Grab the HP hoses and likely slimline SPG's unless you want it as a good excuse to get a Perdix AI with transmitters, sure DRiS would love that ;-) and then figure it out. It will take a while to figure out exactly what hose lengths you're going to want and need because it is anything but a one size fits bloody everyone like backmount. The left hand side short hose and inflator are particularly obnoxious to get sorted out. The right side for most of us is a standard drysuit hose and 7' reg hose, but the left side is utterly annoying to figure out because they depend a tremendous amount on your specific tank position and chest size.
Bit annoying because you have to get the allen keys and adjustable wrench out when you want to dive backmount with a pony again, but it will save a ton of money in the up front cost.
Total cost for that is probably $200 for hoses and SPG's

Option 2. Since you have an XTX50/DST for your pony, just get another one with the right hose lengths. The one on your short hose side can be used for your pony reg with no changes made. Sure it will have an LPI on it and if you dive a button gauge it will have a 6" or 9" hose with an SPG, but that's what most CCR bailout bottles look like so it's not a real issue.
Problem there is I don't know what hose lengths you have so you are in for $600 for the reg, likely another $100 for hoses, and another $100 for SPG's. At that point, you are at the same price point for Option 3

Option 3. Buy the Dive Rite XT set, be happy, have dedicated regs. Cost is $800-$850 depending on what kind of mood Mike is in

Last edited:
To directly answer your question Marie, your reg with the turret is the DST first stage, same one that comes in the Apeks sidemount package, but likely without the fifth port upgrade.

If you want matching regs with the flexibility of turret and fifth port routing options, I would second what tbone said, save yourself about $700 over the apeks package, and just pick up another DST/XTX50 and possibly the 5th port kits separately, DRiS will be able to put them in.

I'd prefer to keep a dedicated set for single tank backmount.

Pony XTX50 has a 40" hose. But I've got the original shorter hose in my stash. It has a Hog slimline plastic face guage on it that I'd like to replace with glass faced for SM. I have a 6" hose and glass SPG from when I bought my Din AL set (seller had used it for SM). So I'd need long hose, SPG, and other hoses, although I think I may have enough spare hoses to cover me (inflator, dry suit) except for the long hose.

I'd pick up another reg set for pony as I'd keep it as pony/stage bottle.

I have no clue why I didn't think about that in the first place.

most of us use slimline gauges because the glass gauges are too heavy as an FYI.

If you want to keep them separate, it will be a lot cheaper to go with the Dive Rite XT set and there is truly 0 real benefits of the Apeks, especially one that warrants almost double the price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom