SM with warm water / travel reg vs. APEKS XTX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanSEA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear all,
This threat is particulary about an Aqualung Mikron vs. APEKS XTX regulator; not any other ;-)

Background: Although I am happy with my very lean setup (BM with Oxycheq 18) and my Aqualung Mikron Travel regulator (complete setup is < 3kg and very compact), I got very interested in SM recently and may 'ran over' soon :). I further do warm water dives only.

I wonder if anyone uses the AL Mikron on SM and if not, why so? IMO, it is a pretty good reg (easy flow, amazingly small 1st stage, small octopus (I have a small face)). However, it appears not to be common for SM (1st stage not sold seperately, making it a bit troublesome setup to start with - but what the heck).

Alternatively, the XTX50 would be my absolute SM regulator choice if I would not worry about weight / size but since I always have to fly with LCC, size / weight absolutely matters.

Major difference from speks:
XTX50: 700j effort, 400g heavier, bulkier size
Mikron: 1100j effort, 400g lighter, tiny

Curious for your opinions :)

Cheers,
Dan

My Wife Dive a Mikron BM, I dive now APEKS ATX SM and have Aqualung Titans converted to over balanced cold water for my 3rd bottle and my Deco Bottle, so I can give you some inputs.

There is nothing wrong with the Mikron, both Titan and Mikron use the same 1st stage, the 2nd stage of the Mikron you can adjust like the XTX-50 as well the ATX-50 so there is no need to change it.

I know of Technical divers that use the Mikron's as well.

The only recommendation is that you convert your 1st stage with a kit to over balanced cold water, they breathe better and is less susceptible to free-flows, and you can even make it a DIN, then you have the best there is, if you don't have it already.

Aqua-lung sells all these parts to make the conversion.

Take in account that the breathing efforts you posted I believe comes from the 1st stage, so in the moment you put the over balanced cold water system, both get the same number in breathing effort.

Last edited:
Hi Remy,
thanks for prompt reply. I was very currious as i never saw a Mikron on SM yet. I understand your sugfestion that regardless of me only diving in warm water, you suggest a cold water 1st stage (e.g. the AL Titan), as breathing effort decreases? Can you confirm? I was also always in believe that 1st / 2nd stage shall not be mixed. Am I wrong here?

Yes regardless of you diving warm water, when you buy the Sealed system that is for cold water the regulator will now be over-balanced, so it will breathe a lot better = less effort, it does'n matter if it is SM or BM it is just a regulator, there are purposely made 1st stage regulator for SM, the only difference is the position of the HP and LP ports that are placed in a better position to route your hoses more conveniently that is the only difference.

You can use 1st stage regulators with different brand 2nd stage, so that doesn't matter.

The difference between your normal 1st stage after you install the cold water kit is noticeable, as your concern is less effort breathing, this is the way to go, the other benefit is that no more salt water and debris ( crap ) will enter the top part of your 1st stage.

Here is some more information, but take in account that they talk about Piston and Diaphragm regulators, yours is a Diaphragm regulator.

Balanced VS Over-Balanced Regulators

I'm might be one of those few that use the AL Mikrons for SM travel. They are a fantastic reg, breathe great, compact and are super light compared to all my other regs (Apeks, HOG etc).

I just use my hogs / apeks as usual. My suitcase is never so heavy that I need to consider saving weight on the regs.

I just use my hogs / apeks as usual. My suitcase is never so heavy that I need to consider saving weight on the regs.

I guess it depends much on the circumstances. Here in SEA, most airlines allows 7kg carry-on only (checkin luggage not an option for multiple reasons). Are you below 7kg?

In my case, 3kg in my current reg / BC setup, another 2kg for jetties and not to forget: computer, lamp, smb, divealert and mask. Not much room for heavier equipment (to explain where I come from).

I'm might be one of those few that use the AL Mikrons for SM travel. They are a fantastic reg, breathe great, compact and are super light compared to all my other regs (Apeks, HOG etc).

Interesting. I also love my Mikron regs. Great flow, amazingly light, fits my face well. I seldom open the venti by more than 50%; fully open they push air into the mouth ;-)

Do you dive them on double SM? Were you able to get a solo 1st stage or did you get them as a set and sold of the remaining octopus?

... the only difference is the position of the HP and LP ports that are placed in a better position to route your hoses more conveniently that is the only difference....

It's one heck of a big difference, as good hose routing is quite critical to getting the best out of a sidemount rig.

Many... most... sidemount use an LPI horizontally routed across the chest. A clean configuration is achieved by using a regulator 1st stage with a 5th (end) port. This routes the low pressure hose directly in-line to meet the LPI.

The Mikron doesn't have a 5th port. It'll be messy for hose routing.

Personally, I'd go for the Apeks.... messy hoses really degrade the sublime performance of a sleek sidemount rig.

Pick the right sidemount, and you'll save enough weight over your BP&W to keep things about equal.

I travel and dive around SE Asia... abd my sidemount kit packs into hand luggage.

Dropping the Jet Fins would be a smart move also... very heavy and they don't trim so well with SM, as they do with backmount. See: Top 5 Warm-Water Sidemount Fins

Hose routing looks very similar to a Legend or so. I'll make it work if I have to, but it's definitely not as comfortable as my XT1 from diverite (or any swivel turret with 5 port fort that matter).

It's doable if you don't care about having a real nice configuration, but I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely don't have the choice. If you have the right lengths of hoses on it you can give it a shot, it works, just not as comfy.

The scubapro mk25 is smaller/lighter than the DST I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom