SM with warm water / travel reg vs. APEKS XTX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not believe the DS4 can be upgraded othere than converting to DIN/Yoke. The DST can have the 5th port added to the bottom of the reg by changing out the turret retaining bolt to one with the 5th port incorporated into it.

That's what I meant :)

My bad, DST.... not DS4.

Andy, please don't get me wrong, I respect you as for how and who you are, and I'm not talking directly to you with all the content of the previous post, I know you are living in Philippines i follow your posts, but I have dived in Malaysia and Indonesia as well as other places, and i don't think Philippines is different, and all the dive masters I had the great opportunity to have as guides didn't have does expensive regulators more likely because they can't afford them as well, they had bit up ones, I'm not saying all are like that, but it is a fact that they are out there, there a lot of pour people in Asia, not everybody is successful as you are and you are well aware of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that between a FSR, DST and a DS4, that the FSR will breathe better ?, same go for the AL Titan and Legend.

Last edited:
I have dived in Malaysia and Indonesia as well as other places, and.... guides didn't have does expensive regulators more likely because they can't afford them as well, they had bit up ones, I'm not saying all are like that,... , there a lot of pour people in Asia, not everybody is successful as you are.

The vast majority of DM/instructors in Thailand and Indo are westerners. No issues with poverty.

In the Philippines, there are more local dive pros. Diving is quite an 'exclusive' activity here.... poor people can't come close to affording it.

What you said sounds quite like a racist assumption, really....

Not intended it all, I have travel around the world and the people I more like are the Asian people, they ara a culture on politeness and very freindly, no body is less or more rich or pour.

Take in account that the breathing efforts you posted I believe comes from the 1st stage, so in the moment you put the over balanced cold water system, both get the same number in breathing effort.

Come on!! I hate to sound like a jerk, but this is totally misleading. This is bull **** from marketing

First, the DST first stage is "over balanced" to begin with, there is no need to add anything to make it that way.

Second, if you even take a look at the inside of a similar design reg, you will know that the so called "over balance", is the limitation on this particular chamber architecture - as depth increase, IP increase. It can't be perfectly balance even if they want with such design. Then they market it as "over balanced". The reality is that the increase in IP with a balanced 2nd stage doesn't do anything at all. If anything, the increase in IP will cause the 2nd stage to free flow, but this probably can only happen in very deep water.

And to OP, there is no such a thing as "over balanced" 2nd stage.

And between DAT/XTX50 vs Mikron, while I don't think Mikron is a bad regulator at all, but I also don't think saving 400g make any sense. With the entire set of reg together, (include hoses, SPG, snaps ..) 400g is really minimal number to save to justify buying another set of reg. Well if you just want execuse to buy scuba equipment, I will say go for it, I fall into that situation all the time

I'm talking the cold water system for the AL not the APEKS, take your time to read

As well I clarified that the they don't sell the Cold water kit for the Mikron, they do for the Titan, and that is what I did with my Titan's regulators.

DST, FSR, DS4 are all sealed system, overbalanced, so far I know it is the same regulator internals, the body changes, to better aid on hose routing depending how your dive gear system.

The reason, of why they become over-balanced is that now you have a little bigger area ( the second diaphragm ) pushing on your main diaphragm thru a rod or help to do so, this suppose to aid in the balancing, in for what I understood that is what they called overbalanced, with a balanced one wet system, the spring is doing the work alone, apparently that difference of contact with the spring over the diaphragm disc vs the dry.system that have a another diaphragm makes the difference.

That is why they say you go from balanced to over-balanced, it maybe just a name for marketing very possible, but it does make a difference, it did in my Titans

I guess we can ask directly the AL / APEKS To clarify that

Last edited:
I think the proper name of this "over balanced" design should be "over depth compensating". I am interested to hear what different does it make in your Titan, how 25PSI increase at 165ft help breathing effort.

Whilst packing a 2kg set of Jet Fins, it's absurd.

It is always OK to buy more gear. Could it be lighter fins or carbon fiber backplate. No need to justify the purchase with weight saving :)

There are so call travel bc, regs, fins etc etc so there must be demand for them. And the questions on light weight equipment do pop up from time to time.
What I don't understand is the saving of 400g and then place everything in a bulky dedicated scuba bag.

There are so call travel bc, regs, fins etc etc so there must be demand for them. And the questions on light weight equipment do pop up from time to time.
What I don't understand is the saving of 400g and then place everything in a bulky dedicated scuba bag.

Mainly because of weight restrictions when flying. I've seen people be 1 lb overweight on a checked bag, and be charged $50 (IIRC).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom