SM with warm water / travel reg vs. APEKS XTX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quick update from my side after having settled on my equipment (and hopping to help others having similar struggles):

I dived a very clean backmount/long-hose for years and didn't switch to sidemount do as to suffer a muddle of hoses.

I'm at a stage where I really feel frustrated when a rig isn't finely tuned and dialled down. It ruins the sublime experience of sidemount.

I see your point. While for backmount I have (considerably) clean setup, I totally see the point for the 5th port and those decided for the APEKS XTX50 (left side with the 5th port).

Force Fins give efficient power delivery. They won't melt your leg muscles when you need to max them out.

Got my Force Fins Pro today. 700g weight saving compared to my old Jetties and first impression in the pool was awesome (although it requires to adjust the finning as you stated)

OP, How often do you find the airlines actually weigh your carry on? I fly Jetstar/Air Asia/Tiger frequently and I have yet to have them actually weigh my carry on.

Believe me, more often than not - in particular since Singapore flights mostly requires document check at the checkin counter. Once your luggage looks bulky, it will be weighted. Being challenged at Manila checkin-counter two weeks back (coming from Coron), I wear my BC on the back to reach acceptable carry-on limits. ;-). In such situations: BC on the back, dive computer to the wrist, dive lamp into pocket, etc.

Final feedback on my configuration: Although my new APEKS are a bit heavier, moving to my new Force Fins Pro compensated very well and helped to push the total weight below 6.9kg (for a full set of equipment). Packed in a certainly small 45 liter meshbag (carried on the back), it is unlikely to be checked anyway :)

Thanks for all the feedback received.

More than half a year after starting this threat (and logging > 85 dives this year on side mount alone), I am utter happy I decided for my XTX50 with 5th port.
Andy had a very valid point that bad hose routing completely defeats the purpose of SM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom