Small Car Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The only thread I could find on the subject was from 2006, so I'm starting a new one. I could potentially be moving from my Jeep to a Mini Clubman. The Jeep is killing me on gas and it's seen more beach parking lots than camp sites lately, so I think it's time for a change. My primary concern is shore diving out of a smaller car. Who does this on a regular basis, and do you have any tips/tricks that you use?

I drive a Jeep TJ and a Mazda 3 hatchback. Like you, the gas is killing me with the jeep, so 99.9% of the time, I take the Mazda. I've gotten 4 tanks (AL80s, HP100s), 2 pony (al40s), drysuits, all the other scuba gear, clothes, and camping gear(tent, sleeping bags, pads, cooler, food) in the back and back seat.

If you only have 2 people, a small car can hold a surprisingly large amount of crap. I also think I can fit more in the Mazda than the jeep.

I have been considering getting a roof-top cargo box to free up some space and keep wet stuff off the seats.

While not shore diving, I dive out of a Kia soul for the most part. I have a 3 tank holed that fits perfectly in the back hatch, I put my 3 tanks in, gear bag on top of them, weights and clumsy items to the side, and I'm ready to go. I carry a large dry bag which I throw everything in after I rinse it off, I toss it in the back on top of the weights and such and head home. Best part is I can keep the back seat in place in case it is needed.

I have an old very basic Toyota Tacoma with a (barely) lockable cap, roll up windows, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, A/C, FM Radio with a cassette deck. Nothing else extra.

I get over 30 mpg on the highway, and haven't put a nickle into it in 18 years except for gas, oil, tires, new batteries, brakes, windshield wipers, and a couple of belts and hoses, all of which I installed myself.

The thing is nearly indestructible, and can carry lots of equipment. It's also got heavy built in floor rings to which things can be padlocked. In any case, theft is not a serious problem here in NJ, an oasis of honesty in a wasteland of corruption.

I noticed that these old Toyotas are popular with Middle East insurgents, and they seem to be doing rather well.

The biggest drawback is the lack of a jump seat. Just a bench seat, so only one passenger, two if they're smallish.

This is not a major problem for me, because most of my old dive buddies are dead. Time's winged chariot and all that.

I have a 2007 Toyota RAV 4 4 cyl. And except for deer running into the side of it on the interstate (just got it back today) and old ladies running stop signs and t boning me (last memorial day) it has given me no problems. I have had 2 sets of steel doubles, 4 al 80's, a 30 and a 40, plus drysuits, regs, clothes, food, a pop up canopy, etc. and still got 28 mpg on the highway. You can pick up the older (pre 2010) for fairly decent price and low miles if you look. Mine had 43,000 on it when I bought it used two and half years ago. Plus you have the option of 4wd when you need it. Comes in handy around here.

Have you seen the Top Gear, "killing a Toyota", series?

No, but I just googled it and they seem to agree. I treat mine with great care, and it returns the favor. It's a vehicle that I've come to love for the uncanny touch of intelligence it somehow projects.

My first dedicated diving vehicle was a nicely rusted '57 VW Beetle with the back seat removed and a battery protector fashioned out of a fiberglass outboard motor cover.

03 focus hatchback (SVT), carried 2 full sets of gear (4x al80, 2x BC, 2x 'suit, 2x boat bag) in the 'hatch area. put the back seats down and you've got plenty of room for a 2-4 day quarry camping/scuba trip for two with tent and food, pack it in, pack it out.

rear subwoofer was removed for the additional space.

only 'tip' is to get a box of reusable quited incontinence bed under pads (ie: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00309SXXO ), to lay under gear as its piled back in for the trip home if you dont have a waterproof cargo area like on some crossovers/SUVs. once unloaded, toss through the wash; keeps the stink from sticking around.

The only thread I could find on the subject was from 2006, so I'm starting a new one. I could potentially be moving from my Jeep to a Mini Clubman. The Jeep is killing me on gas and it's seen more beach parking lots than camp sites lately, so I think it's time for a change. My primary concern is shore diving out of a smaller car. Who does this on a regular basis, and do you have any tips/tricks that you use?

Depending on how committed you are to the idea, taking the passenger side front seat out of a car makes the car instantly hold way much more cargo. Passengers can still go to the backseat. When you are not carrying gear, the passenger has a ton of legroom, because they are sitting in the back seat with no seat in font of them.

Most people actually have lives and families, but I throw the front seat out of all my sedans because I have neither a life nor a family, and I can carry way more tanks, and balance them between the cab and the trunk.

I've got a Ford focus hatchback that is perfect for a long weekend style trip for two, but as soon as I add that third person I end up needing something bigger. I've got a santa fe that has done incredibly well in that regard, usually holding about 8 tanks, 3 sets of gear + backup, a cooler, dry foods, and some clothing.

As for tips, if you have one of those multi-sized hitches, make sure you turn it so nothing is pointing down before you leave on a trip. I did a week long trip in the santa fe with part of it pointing down and the hitch lock key at home. It scraped on just about every driveway with a greater than 25deg incline. Not fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom