Small nose, low volume Freediving mask, clear skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once bought a mask with side panels, but the volume was huge, it would suck for free diving.

I use a clear-skirt Tusa mask for lap swimming and it is way less claustrophobic, plus, I can see the blurry person swimming in the same lane. A woman on a boat in FL tried to buy it from me after I lent it to her because her mask was ridiculously ill-fitting on her patrician features. She went on and on about it, and I almost just gave it to her but stopped myself because I didn't want to be played for a chump.

I have never found a clear skirted mask to
Provide any additional visual benefit or
Peripheral vision over black. With the exception of
Night diving where you can get an indication of light from a buddy who shines his light on the side of your face. Not a recommended method of signaling.

Black skirt cuts glare and allows a hunter to see under a dark ledge better

“Women not only have a greater variety of cones in the retina, they also have wider peripheral vision than men.As a nest defender, a woman has brain software that allows her to receive an arc of at least 45 degree clear vision to each side of her head and above and below her nose. Many women's peripheral vision is effective up to almost 180 degrees. A man's eyes are configured for a type of long-distance tunnel vision which means that he can see clearly and accurately directly in front of him and over greater distances. As a hunter, a man needed vision that would allow him to zero in on, and pursue, targets in the distance. He evolved with almost blindered vision so that he would not be distracted from targets, whereas a woman needed eyes to allow a wide arc of vision so that she could monitor any predators sneaking up on the nest.This is why modern men can find their way effortlessly to a distant pub, but can never find things in the fridge.”
This also helps explain the popularity of ball sports.

So this means that men and women have different roles in lives and their biology is also different to support these different roles (complementary roles)??? Doesn't this contradict what the "women's lib" worriers have been saying over the last few decades in Western culture?

oh, that’s a difficult topic! A lot of recent biological science supports the idea that yeah, there are evolutionary gender differences, but that doesn’t mean women shouldn’t be paid equally or have equal rights. And some women are great hunters too, especially in Freediving!

doesn’t mean women shouldn’t be paid equally or have equal rights.

Didn't say that. Just an admission that it is OK to have different roles and different biology to support it

Of course, after all, isn’t it obvious that men evolved to carry two tanks at a time, his and mine, LOL!

@MAKO Spearguns why not make a clear skirt freedive mask? Wouldn’t a spear fisherman like to see a fish in his peripheral vision? And what about women spear fishers? There’s a reason women prefer clear masks and it’s not just so our faces look pretty.

It is my impression that there is insufficient demand for a clear skirt mask.

Thanks for asking about Women Spearos:

We stock:

• Women's freedive suits.
  • Freedive fin pockets in very small sizes to fit women and even children.
  • Each speargun is made in our production facility when it is ordered. The bands are hand tied on the day the gun is ordered, so the latex power bands are super fresh. This allows us to custom make bands which might be longer or thinner to be consistent with special requests from women or people with shoulder injuries etc. (at no additional cost).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom