Small Pole Spear / Lion Fish Killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goindrinkn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wow, sadly last week we dove a beautiful site in Pompano, and clearly ran acorss a mating pair of lionfish. (and the reef was desert arounf their cubby) While he wife (Jadye323) is a real fish hugger, even she agrees that it's ok to to try to eridicate these guys. I don't carry a large shin knife, as I'm not fighting James Bond type enemies or sharks, but I was wondering if there is a 2 foot or so pole spear that's colapsable? 1 foot with a tip. this way I can attach it to a shin or my BP / and while I don't hunt, I can pull it out and dispatch these guys without risk of getting hit. (been hit in an aquarium, and it ain't all that fun. ) Also, don't care about a opening head/tip as it's not about catching them, it's simply a kill shot. Any recomendations? Like I said, surprisingly unusual, as this is not out normal course of action. But we've seen them and they've been easy shots. Even though they were in a hole it was not safe to take my bp knife and take a chance.

Thanks for your help

James

YES YES YES!!! Thanks for asking. I just bought one myself...a FoldSpear. They are in stock right now at UnderSeas Sports Fort Lauderdale, 954-564-8661. Tell Matt that Debby sent you because I'm the one who asked him to become a dealer. :thumb:

I've made six dives with it and it's so comfortable that you don't notice it until you need it. It folds up like a tent pole, and it opens in a quick shake. It is beautifully engineered aluminum. I bought a "Lionfish Tip" but Matt told me it's just a regular point without a flopper and he's right about that.

+1 on the foldspear. I bought mine direct from foldspear.com. Collapses down and carries in a thigh sheath, grab the handle, pull it out and flick your wrist and it snaps out and the pieces lock in place.
Also useful for holding position in a current while you wait for that critter to poke it's nose out of the reef.

A Plus Marine Supply has a 2 ½’ (30&#8221:wink: pole spear SKU # 0199.
MSRP is ~$28.....

I'm making inquiries w/ a local who might be able to source them....
Any dive shop probably has an account from A+ and should be able to source them....

I bought a short pole spear from Pura Vida Divers in West Palm. I'll have to measure it, but it looks smaller than 28". But, it was made by A+ marine.

329_lance-setp.jpg

A Plus Marine Supply has a 2 ½’ (30&#8221:wink: pole spear SKU # 0199.
MSRP is ~$28.....

I'm making inquiries w/ a local who might be able to source them....
Any dive shop probably has an account from A+ and should be able to source them....

I'm definitely interested in one of these.

I had Andy at Foldspear make a custom one (two lengths removed to make it shorter) for me and I still think it's far larger than it needs to be to kill lionfish.

Hey guys-

I found this AWSOME Lionfish Killer product. It's called:

2Ft. fiber glass polespear 1/2" with Light Duty Sling and Stainless Steel Paralyzer Tip

CheapScubaOnline.com
www.cheapscubaonline.com.

The company looks like they have a lot of Discount Dive Equipment & Accessories, are based in Florida.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

www.cheapscubaonline.com

Hey guys-
I found this AWSOME Lionfish Killer product. It's called:
2Ft. fiber glass polespear 1/2" with Light Duty Sling and Stainless Steel Paralyzer Tip
CheapScubaOnline.com
www.cheapscubaonline.com.
The company looks like they have a lot of Discount Dive Equipment & Accessories, are based in Florida.
Does anyone have any experience with them?
www.cheapscubaonline.com

Wow! :spam:
7 posts today and pretty much the same verbage on 5 of them so far by "Scubaproman". :shakehead:

There are acceptable and honorable ways to push business, heck I read the ads for fun as a rule. :shocked2:

Chug
Nuff said. :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom