Smallest reel for DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You probably won't find a smaller reel than this one: AP Pocket Reel | AP Diving

Here's a quick review I found on youtube, helps you appreciate the size also:
Been considering it myself, will fit in a bellows pocket I imagine.

There's no handle to grab onto though.
Like the look of that - might have to buy one (and probably their SMB as well at the same time). Has the size advantage of a finger spool but the ease of a reel.

Anyone know of a U.S. retailer for the pocket reel. When I found that reel a while back I wanted it, but couldn't find one in the U.S.

Right now I have a cheap enclosed reel from Piranha, but it's not built all that well. But you can't expect a lot from $10.

100 ft is very limiting. More than once I have found myself diving a broken up wreck or ledge area in 10 ft of viz. Reel was very handy in finding my way back to the anchor without a lots of stress.

Only thing is if you are using it that way do look up from time to time. Used a reel once to explore off away from a wreck and on the way back was looking at the reel and not paying attention and ran into an 8 ft sand tiger resting on the bottom. Not sure who was more startled her or me.

If I was going to bring a reel for my SMB it would be my Light Monkey 200' primary.

I know you are looking for a reel and not a spool; but, I thought I would post this anyway just in case.

I have been using one of these for years.It's small. It's sturdy. It's easy to use. I keep it tucked in a pocket and don't know it's there. I got it at a good price, $10. Keep your eye out for a sale. It has stood the test of time as it is practically indestructible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E0D1TO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I like the look of that AP pocket reel. It's a bit pricey though.

I once bought a smaller Dive Rite spool, about 75 or 50 feet. I used it once and have never gone back to the thing...just too small. Unless you dive no deeper than 30 feet a 50 foot spool is not sufficient. I now dive with a 150' finger spool on a dsmb.

Back
Top Bottom