Smartphone Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree.
But, they are getting better and better.

Our App dims the display and turns off the image sensor after a while.
Based on our tests a 4S will last ~6 hours and a 5S almost 10.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 09:21 AM ----------

Have you ever heard about the iDive housing for iPad?
There seems to be quite some interest from the scientific diving community about the possibility to take a tablet underwater to facilitate the diver 's activity.

An excellent step forward for survey work. So much data can be collected with the iPad idive housing. Great stuff.

2 different manufacturers. The waterproof case is made by a different company. Divenav from what I can tell only does the transmitter that attaches. You get the waterproof case separately. .....
Almost correct.
DiveNav makes the depth / temperature sensor, the bracket to connect the sensor to the smartphone housing and, of course, the App.
As of today, smartphone housings are available from 3 different manufacturers: Bonica, iPix and Watershot.

Beta testing to begin in just few weeks... Interested?

I dive to get away from my phone, work, office and other people talking. Definitively, not interested. Not my cup of tea.

Almost correct.
DiveNav makes the depth / temperature sensor, the bracket to connect the sensor to the smartphone housing and, of course, the App.
As of today, smartphone housings are available from 3 different manufacturers: Bonica, iPix and Watershot.

LOL..I was encompassing everything but the case made by Divenav. I do love the fact that I can take photos with the app and not just have the dive info. Now question is do I have the option of taking a photo with and without the dive info showing up in it?

.... Now question is do I have the option of taking a photo with and without the dive info showing up in it?
Could you please be more specific?
Do you mean showing (or not) the dive computer info on the images when you review them?
Or do you mean switching from/to camera only mode (dive computer info are not shown on the screen) to/from dive computer mode (dive computer info are shown on the screen) while diving?

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 05:52 PM ----------

Yeah, too bad that GPS doesn't work underwater...
Yeah, too bad.
But, other things do work underwater ......

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 05:55 PM ----------

I get everyone's reticence, but dayum, if I could google map a dive plan...and have GPS routing all through my dive...? Heaven. :)
GPS stops working few inches from the surface :depressed:
So far we can only show on the map GPS location for descent point and ascent point.

When reviewing them and sharing/printing them does the dive info show? If so can that be turned off and on at will?

As a rec diver, I'd only consider using my smartphone for a dive computer if the casing/dive computer module manufacturer would guarantee that they would replace my phone if water got in.....
As far as I know, no manufacturer of underwater housings for smartphones do provide such level of warranty.
Do the manufacturers of housing for underwater cameras replace the camera if water gets into the housing?
A manufacturer of professional underwater housings once told me: "An underwater housing is as good as the last person that closed it"

.... I do see the merit in having a dive computer module for a phone or tablet for scientific/monitoring work, though. ....
We agree on this one :wink:

When reviewing them and sharing/printing them does the dive info show? If so can that be turned off and on at will?
App gives you the option to super-impose to images some dive data (depth / time / temp).
You can turn ON/OFF this feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom