Smarttrak fail to open after Win10 upgrade to ver. 1607

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ver. 1703 came out recently if you are using Pro and it may have upgraded. I tried it on my test bed with 1703 and it worked but you would have different hardware.
I suggest the Subsurface test.

Of course the problem is not on their end......:rolleyes:

Hm, due to other issues I JUST did a clean install of Win10 Homex64 ver. 1709 which JUST came out. As I load software one that fails to run every time is Smartrak 2.0.8.1. It gives me no other information.
Prior to that it was working just fine on an updated ver. 1703.

I did try Subsurface from my posting above...it worked fine. Smartrak uses a database and the idea of transferring all that data is just depressing.

Last edited:
Install it and or run the application inside a Windows 7, 8, XP, or 2000 virtual machine from within the Windows 10 operating system.

Vmware produces a free version of it's virtual machine, it's very easy to use. You will need the installation disk and license for whichever operating system you choose to run from within Windows 10.

Install it and or run the application inside a Windows 7, 8, XP, or 2000 virtual machine from within the Windows 10 operating system.

Vmware produces a free version of it's virtual machine, it's very easy to use. You will need the installation disk and license for whichever operating system you choose to run from within Windows 10.

Appreciate that option but that seems a bit like overkill. This should work. Something is 'missing', probably in one of the dot.net support systems but I don'k know enough to sort out exactly what.
So much for the support of 'major retailers' eh?

ScubaPro did follow up with me. They suggested this:

[I suggest downloading the latest version of Smart Trak from our website if you haven’t done so already. If you are using an old version or one from a CD you will encounter some issues.
Once downloaded open it from the start menu the first time, not the shortcut. We are not sure why this works, but after the first time opening it you can use the shortcut.
If this does not correct the issue let me know and we'll explore other causes.]

I tried that, with all manner of uninstalls first, INCLUDING going into the [Registry] and removing all traces of Smarttrak. It didn't work.
I tried installing it on a 'clean' version of Win10 1703 > didn't work.
Scubapro sent some instructions to change the [Permissions] for Smarttrak. That didn't work either as I was already logged in as an [Administrator], and had tried also loading Smarttrak via [Run as Administrator].
Having tried all the usual routes, I took a long approach and it appeared to have fixed it. No idea why this worked and the direct method did not.

I loaded Win7 on a spinning HD. I activated that. Loaded Smarttrak > it worked. No special 'methods' required.
Upgraded Win7 > Win10 ver. 1703 with a DVD copy. Smarttrak worked.
Upgraded 1703 > 1709 with a DVD copy. Installed all current updates. Smarttrak still works.
Cleaned up the HD, created disk image with Macrium Restore, restored to SSD. Seems to have gone OK. Smarttrak still works.
Go figure.
This is all pretty much exactly the same hardware, permissions, etc. that have been on the PC all along. The only differences were the initial load of Win7 to a spinning HD. BUT, I did load Win10, both ver. 1703 and 1709 to spinning HD to test (AND the same Samgnsung EVE SSD), and none of those would run Smarttrak afterward. They WOULD successfully run any other software I loaded, so it's difficult to see how either the hardware or OS were the direct problem.

Scubapro should simply update SmartTrak so it plays nicely with the most current version of Windows! I have had massive problems using SmartTrack ever since I upgraded to windows 10. This is true for multiple computers running Windows 10, with the most recent version of SmartTrack. I have almost 4,000 dives of SmartTrak and I would like to be able to access this as easily as I used to. I can not understand why Scubapro refuses to address this issue, Or do they want to abandon sales of dive computers?

I have sent ScubaPro the above info and got a thanks and message that the information would be sent to appropriate personnel, whatever that's worth.

My wife has the same problem with Suunto DM5. It's not nearly as good as prior version DM4 which is no longer available or supported. They don't seem to support it (the thread in Scubaboard has been abandoned by the Suunto person), and it has significant problems.

That's exactly the same IR dongle as I have. I knew it was not the dongle. Smarttrak and the IR worked fine in another computer with exactly the same version of Win10. It simply would not work with an absolutely clean copy of ver. 1709 (or 1703), on THAT PC. Before wiping the drive and putting on the clean copy it worked fine on the same PC that had gone through upgrading from Win7. You can see my post #15 for the steps I had to go through to make it work. Works fine now. Go figure. Some obscure glitch.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom