SMB color in the pacific north west

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trevinkorea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to add an SMB and a lift bag to my kit.

What is better for general and emergency use on the west coast of Canada and the US?

I have a bright yellow lift bag but I heard that bright yellow was for emergency use. Is this true?

Should I be using an orange or yellow SMB for general use or is colour actually important at all?

Thank you in advance for reading and/or replying to this thread.

The only SMB color that is of limited value is white - because it gets lost amidst the wave crests.

International orange and yellow are popular colors, however, you can also find bags and 'safety sausages' in red and this virulent green color.

TTBOMK, there is no 'regionally-interpreted' color. International orange does not mean one thing, and yellow another, across the entire PNW (or anywhere else for that matter).

Some individual teams, however, have set up signals amongst both team members, surface support divers and team managers, and boat captains that may be color coded - e.g. orange bag means we've been swept off the wreck by current, here is our location, we're doing drift deco, etc. whereas yellow bag means someone is either entrapped somehow or hung up; send down a safety diver with two stage bottles, etc.

But I'm not aware of any cohesive understanding, among the boat captains say from Virginia Beach down through Outer Banks, Hatteras, and Morehead City (along the east coast) that "orange bag means X while yellow bag means Y".

It's generally a more independent, team-oriented determination.

On the other hand, whereas color is of only marginal importance, size matters.

Not sure where you're diving, and if you're diving in a quarry or smaller lake it may be less relevant, but if you're 30-70 miles offshore in the open ocean - you need to be seen. Aircraft are flying at, depending on the size and type of aircraft, between 140 to several hundred miles an hour. They fly in patterns. They fly at altitude. The pilot is sweeping his vision looking for a diver in the water. Know how small you look even from 100' to 200' off the surface of the ocean? Ever come in for a landing at an airport over a body of water and glance down - notice the glare off the surface of the sea?

So...you want the biggest frickin' tube you can possibly find if you're diving 30 or more miles offshore in the open ocean. Something like the super big one here:
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

You also want a mirror to signal the aircraft - not the back of a CD. You need to be able to aim the flashes at the aircraft as its flying - military signalling mirrors have a crosshair device that lets you do this. CDs don't. They cost less than $10. You also want a strobe in your pocket in case the search goes into the night. At night a bright strobe can be seen for miles from the air out of the darkness of the ocean.

Here's one site to peruse (there are many others):
http://www.tabula-international.com/DIV/SMB3.html

As of last night there were two divers floating in the open ocean waiting to be found, one off Florida and one off North Carolina, who were both swept away by ripping currents. They aren't the first ones this season.

A mirror slips inside the cover of your wetnotes, its real handy and there is no excuse not to have one. Its going to be priceless if you need to signal search aircraft. Put a small stainless steel boltsnap on it to snap to your secondary bungee around your neck. After floating around for 6-12 hours or so your fingers might be a bit shaky, and you wouldn't want to drop the thing when you finally spot the plane.

Dive safe,

Doc

FWIW. YMMV.

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your questions.

I dive only in the ocean and usually open water, sometimes light wreck penetration. I'll be returning to Vancouver in a couple of months and want to get ready for some more diving.

I do have the mirror with the clip and it is the risk of getting swept along with a current that is motivating me to get prepared.

Thanks for the stobe tip, i seemed to have forgotten about that one.

If you have a yellow lift bag already, and you're looking to add a liftbag/SMB, you may as well make it orange. Then just tell the people on the boat that if you send up just the orange one, everythings ok, if the yellow is sent up then the **** has hit the fan.
At night you can stick a torch inside the SMB, and it lights up like a giant glowstick.

Thank you for your replies.

I went with an orange bag and a yellow SMB.

I figure I'll only use the SMB if the @#&% has really hit the fan.

I just now saw this post but thought I'd reply anyway. I know that you are in the pacific & I am in Florida but I flew with the Civil Air Patrol here for several years and have participated in SAR missions. (search & rescue) Doc is right, a white SMB is useless. It simply will not be seen. I advocate & use the neon orange. Orange is the only color which does nor occur naturally in the wild. Remember, when you are out in the ocean, you are nothing but a small dot. Orange will not only capture the observer's eye but it also tells him that what ever is out there is man made. A signal mirror is also a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom