SMB Inflation Method of Choice

Which method of SMB Inflation do you prefer?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimlikethefish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
After seeing yet another SMB thread in the basic forum about which bag to buy I got to thinking...

Which style in inflation do you prefer? Most answers are going to be dependant upon which style bag you use. Such as open or closed bottom, oral inflation tube, or tube style that allows oral or hose style filling.

I find even though my bags have a bcd style hose fitting I still prefer to fill them orally. I feel I have better control. But I am not opposed to filling them with a hose from time to time if my stage bottle has an additional inflator on it at the time. I however, never fill with my second stage, all of my bags are closed bottom.

What do you prefer and why?

I voted oral, but I also use LP hose from my bailout on rebreather. Mine are closed bottom with LPI / oral inflator and OPV

None of the above, I use a little blow gun attached to an additional LP hose.

I prefer to use a LP inflation hose if I happen to have one available either on a pony, deco bottle or extra LP inflation hose (drysuit hose). If not available, I orally inflate.

I use Halcyon closed DAMs so using a 2nd stage inflator or wing isn't an option.

6' open bottom w/ nipple & OPV - 2nd stage but seriously considering adding an additional LP hose for a nozzle

On my current configuration I have a DiveAlert on a dedicated hose that is wrapped with a Gnarly Wraps™ Reusable Hose & Cable Protector Sleeves along my SPG hose. Since the DA has the quick connect to hook to an inflator it works perfect for inflating a DSMB.

The only DSMB's I buy are from Piranha Dive MFG. They can be inflated orally, with a QC or a second stage.

2nd stage inflation from depth...

LP inflator hose or oral. All of my bailouts and deco bottles have an extra LP inflator hose. This is be able to plug-in offboard gas to my rebreather but it's also usable for inflating SMBs and/or running my drysuit if It doesnt contain helium.

Most of my SMBs and lift bags are the closed bottom type.

I'm not a fan of second stage inflation in cold water. I've had violent free flows caused by this so I don't do it anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom