Smb Options With Opv That Can Be Filled W/ Second Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, I rigged a piece of shock cord to hold over the bolt snap line. I did this if I have it clipped off on a d ring. Basically it would be captured and can't unroll.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looking to buy this reel and wondering how strong is the reel release button spring. Reason i ask is because with my dan smb, i usually have my reel in the stop position, fill the smb then release the reel stop to free flow. I do this so that i can fill the large volume dan smb mostly full and then release. Otherwise, it shoots up before its filled properly. So will this reel with spring release button disengage once there is a lot of pressure on the line or will it only release if there is no tension on the line?

Also, does it jam often? Keep reading lots of posts of uk divers having them jam.

Last edited:
I keep it simple, at least in blue water diving in SE Asia. I do not like handles, springs et al. for a reel. I use a simple nylon open reel with a stainless steel clip. I find stainless better than brass clips. SMB - this depends on the dive. Mostly I use a small Halycon SMB. I find this SMB is more than adequate for signaling our boat. While diving with a moderate swell, the small Halycon SBM is too way to small, so I take a longer SMB, either filled by second stage, low pressure inflator, or by mouth. I clip the reel to the SMB, so its always available for deployment. Other divers prefer to keep the reel and SMB separate.

Thanks for posting, folks. I bought the SMB CuzzA recommended. I'm not as forward as StuartV (I'm jealous, not criticizing) and found some other stuff to get over the minimum purchase amount for free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom