SMB Reel Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have always relied on the DM to deploy the SMB at the end of the dive. Last year I noticed that anytime someone went up early the DM had to deploy the SMB for them, then try and complete the dive with everyone else while still messing with the SMB. So, I decided I should get my own setup. I do always carry an SMB, but no reel. I started to look at reels and found a huge range in pricing and types. Can I get some advice on what I should get and how much I should spend on this? I guess I will have to learn how to deploy it properly this year also, but I am sure the dive op will be happy to help me with that, so that the DM will have one less person to worry about, if I need to come up early for some reason.

A finger reel (all I use) consists of a plastic hub with string wrapped around it. No reason to spend more than 10-20 bucks. The important thing is learning how to deploy it safely from depth consistently.

Definitely worth getting your own and practising deployment in the shallows.

Assuming you're only diving within recreational limits and aren't likely to use the reel for other purposes, a simple finger spool left attached to the SMB would be fine. Something like the Apeks 30m Lifeline. Good quality, compact and simple to use with bare or gloved hands.

What @DFDubb said, just a cheap finger reel (H2O Dive Reel), but you should practice.
This woman does an amazing job in a strong current.

There are also some great YouTube videos of what not to do and what can go wrong. Definitely worth checking them out. I couldn't find some of the really good (bad) ones in a quick check of YouTube, but most involve either getting tangled up in the slack line or using a reel (not a spool) that wasn't released, dragging the diver up to the surface.

@dberry - Speaking of bad SMB deployments this one gave me the giggles for about 15 minutes. Jump to about 30seconds.

Also, unwind the reel completely and make sure it is tied to the reel at the end. Mine was not. When releasing the SMB you can always let ths reel go if need be, the reel will unspool float down to you. Also, Decide how much line you want on your reel.

@dberry - Speaking of bad SMB deployments this one gave me the giggles for about 15 minutes. Jump to about 30seconds.

Ok, now I have the giggles.... In fairness, I think we've all been surprised by the effects of a small quantity of air at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom