Smoking and Freediving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arubandi07

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As a 20 yrs/+ smoker and total coffee addict( we're talking jars), I'm finally seriously considering quitting and would really appreciate some input from ex-smoking freedivers about their personal experience, hopefully positive, to give my own motivation a final nudge in the right direction. Anybody out there???

You might want to get a physical and check you heart etc. first. I smoked a bit 20 years ago. Go for it. Free diving is good exercise and challenging. If you're really interested in it, try one of the Performance Freediving classes. Even really experienced free divers say they gain a lot from the class. A lot of safety is discussed.

I met a man that said his doctor gave him a shot behind his ear and he quit smoking right then. So I'd say see your doctor. There's a lot of new no-smoking aids out there.

Have a physical check-up, if all is well, start with a swimming exercise. Do this without fins at first, and swim continuosly for 30 min. minimum. Once you find this easy, start breath hold dives to 10 ft. or shallower. This will give you a feel of what skin diving is. Read about the physics involved so you will know the pressure you will be dealing with. I used to smoke and quit, no regrets. Hope you will be able to kick the habit as well.

As someone who smoked for only two years, and quit in Oct 09, I can say that my free diving abilities have nearly doubled since I quit. Seriously, within a few weeks you'll notice the difference, and feel better too. I'm just thankful I quit early, best of luck with kicking the habit.

As someone who smoked for only two years, and quit in Oct 09, I can say that my free diving abilities have nearly doubled since I quit. Seriously, within a few weeks you'll notice the difference, and feel better too. I'm just thankful I quit early, best of luck with kicking the habit.

FYI, a routine stint in my case involves ~ 25-30 dives of 45sec-1 1/2 min (6-35ft dp) in the course of about 1 1/2 hrs in the water, shooting pics. If I'd be able to get anywhere near the performance improvements you're mentioning, I'll be a very happy camper. For some time now, I've been at 1-1 1/2 packs/day, how much did you smoke?

I met a man that said his doctor gave him a shot behind his ear and he quit smoking right then. So I'd say see your doctor. There's a lot of new no-smoking aids out there.

The doctor shot him behind his ear, and he quit smoking?

That must have been some caliber bullet.

Once I stop laughing, my recovery will be about the same as after a 2min dive,
good one!!!

A friend of mine with whom I used to lifeguard was a smoker and on a track team. He took a freediving class from me and had little problem with 100 foot dives and 2:30 breath holds right out of the gate. But, he was 18 at the time! :D

Anyway, if you'd like a nudge, quit smoking so you can take my freediving class this summer at Dutch Springs 2 hours from NYC. :wink:

It's a two-day class that really pushes the fundamentals with lots of dives, coaching and clean-up working on static, dynamic and depth. Most students hit 80 to 100 feet by the end of class and make great strides in personal performance and bests. But, that's because we work on becoming physically pretty and fluid and mentally relaxed and in-tune with ourselves and the environment ... and yes, I may start chanting. :)

Trace, PA sounds pretty cold to me, I'm using a 3/2 WS on shore dives in Aruba!! Your class does sound interesting, and expanding max depth/BT will probably allow me to operate more comfortably in my normal depth/t-range for photography, time can mean the difference between a mediocre or a perfect shot. Will check out your site, Thanks.

A.

Back
Top Bottom