Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
(Yes - I know, we shouldn't; there's hundreds of reasons why we shouldn't; that's not what I'm asking about. Please do not hijack this suggested discussion. Thanks...)

Some divers still smoke, and - I have been fortunate enough to dive a lot of different places, but I've known only one operator who would not allow it. Some ask that we not smoke near the gas tanks - Roger That! - and I go back to the one Non operator every year because he's worth it to me, but generally - it's done. (Oh yes, your boat may not allow it, either. Lets not go there, etiher, please.)

Now I always try to be polite about it. Don't want to irritate anyone with my problems, so I always go to the stern, always save my butts for the trash, and always try to not be a bother. One a recent trip, though, several gals took up the stern on a very crowded boat, leaving me midship - as I'd been helping people board & load, and then the group leader ordered me to put it out! I've been out of the Marines a long time, and I do not like enduring orders...!

Me: What?! We've been smoking on this boat all week, and you've known me to smoke for months?

Her: Some people at the stern are sensitive to it.

Me: Fine, I'll be glad to trade seats.

Her: They want to be by their gear.

Me: Then why did they go to the stern - where smokers always go? Why not the bow or midship? (Only now that I talk about it here does it occur to me that this was a set up, power play, but - if I'm down wind, why?)

Her: Just put it out, Don.

I gave up. I didn't even say anything about her not jumping on the Dive Guide when he lit up later...

Anyone want me to help understand why she/they were so intent on causing problems...?

thanks, don

had to forego having a ciggie break for a while...big deal.

Sounds like the non-smokers were there first and objected to having to breathe your smoke. Be gracious and wait til they vacate the space to light up.

For many, the smoke bothers them less than the idea of smoking - it's become a cause celebre. It's that hoary "It takes a village thing"; respecting peoples privacy and right to make their own decisions has been replaced by roving bands of Miss Manners wannabes. Actually, I don't mind the idea of things being run at the village level, what I don't get is why so many of the village idiots ended up involved in the process.

That said, the back end of the dive boat is a small place and it's hard for smokers to accomodate the rights of non-smokers. No matter how enjoyable, smoking is a habit that is highly addictive and that kills mercilessly. When someone has to give, it ought to be the smokers. Even if it's the non-smokers that are being butt-heads.

DandyDon Anyone want me to help understand why she/they were so intent on causing problems...? thanks:
don[/SIZE]

Don, i'm a smoker also and the only reason i know of that "people" like her are like that is they look for something to raise h3ll about. i'm also like you are, i have always tried to get downwind of people that dont smoke, even on land but when i have run into the same type situation you did, i DONT back down. i believe in "equal" rights when it comes to things like that and if its not going to be equal then they better let me know that before i spend my money.

thanks,
steve

ps.. Semper Fi sir... 1971-1975 and yesterday (April 1st 1971) was my 1st day at Parris Island.

Hi Don,

Let me start by saying that I quit smoking almost a year ago.

It sounds as thought you've run into the obnoxious non-smoker that feels it is there right to actively block others from smoking (taking up the most unobtrusive and polite place to smoke on the boat and then getting upset with you for still wanting to smoke). This is the same person that will elect to sit in the SMOKING section and b%$#h and complain as loudly as they can. By doing this they can now tell their friends how they stood up to the satanistic, evil, kitten killing SMOKER. It's unfortunate that people can't accomodate one another and get along, instead it sounds as though the non-smokers occupied your normal spot to ensure a confrontation.
I know you asked that this thread not be hijaked. But I just want to throw my nickels woth into that area as well. You'll quit when and if you want to and not a second before. I tried quitting half a dozen times before this one...the only reason it's working is because I WANTED TO DO IT! Not because someone nagged, badgered, pushed, blackmailed me into it.

Jeff

P.S. Looks like a Jarhead reunion here...
Semper Fi Leathernecks
88-93

cyklon_300:
had to forego having a ciggie break for a while...big deal.

Sounds like the non-smokers were there first and objected to having to breathe your smoke. Be gracious and wait til they vacate the space to light up.

Yeah, well - if she'd asked me courteously, I try to cooperate with requests. But the pushy order set me off, and - now that I realize that that the other gals seating must have been a power play, I'm even more irritated. The other gals intentionally took the cusomary smoking deck while I was helping others load, when they could have taken the bow or midship. And remember, the boss lady said nothing to the Dive Guide who lit up later...

I'm sure she'd have loved it if I'd responded with: "Aye Aye, Sir!" :soapbox:

Maybe they were rude or did it intentionally. Or, maybe they picked that spot because they liked it, or got more sun there, or that spot feels less crowded on what you describe as a "very crowded" boat. Whatever. They and their gear were there first and maybe they thought asking someone to vacate their seat and move elsewhere away from their gear on a crowded boat just because you wanted their spot to smoke is rude.

I personally don't think a crowded small boat is anyplace to smoke. Some people aren't going to be able to get away from it.

I respect your need to smoke, but it's not a right. I have several employees that smoke, so I have rules about where and when they smoke. A dive boat should, and I think most do have a place for smokers to go. If some nonsmokers are in that spot I think you should let them know your about to light up and they can move or suffer. With that said I don't care where you go, or which way the winds blowing I better not smell it or were going to be having a problem. If I go to a bar or club I expect to be in the thick of it, but when I go diving, out on the water, beautiful blue ocean, fish & reefs-The whole nature experience-I will not to tolerate it for a second, no smoke period. If you come to our house for a party we provide a nice snoking section next to the pool, away for the food, for smokers to relax by-BUT NOT WHEN I'M DIVING!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom