Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oleras:
As for the shopping trolly response, easilly sorted, have people insert a monatary token, here 1 euro, elsewhere i dont know.....they will return it ! kind of silly response in such a heated debate in my opinion from a smoker, Mike, mod or not, take a stand !(just my opinion....wasted analogy)
And as for the post by UWSojourner......how much time did you waste thinking up that crap, sad....smoke fills, smoke suits....maybe spend some time with your fellow man, smoker or not, and dont be so hung up about him .....accept him.......albeit downwind !!

Gee, sorry you didn't like my take on the subject and I did take a stand on the issue. The shopping carts were just meant as an example of some people lack of regard for their peers. To make it clear I think people want to force others to stop doing a thing like smoking just because they don't like it.

Outdoors you might get a wiff but I doubt the dose is a significant health hazard except for the very few with severe allergies. I doubt the objectionable smell is worse than car exhaust in traffic, the perfume some wear, the music that some blast from their cars that rattle your car from the ground up or a million other things that cross our senses every few minutes.

Tolerance is what makes a group work but smoking is just one of those things that some people have decided to have zero tolerance for. Not because it's any worse than some of the other things I listed (outside in the open air) but because it's a popular thing today to have zero tolerance for.

Earlier in this thread some one said they would have put the smoke out for Don. Another said if his wifes nose wrinkled he would try to address it politely but then...

Most seemed to accept those militant statements but what if I said that if you blast your "green haired punk music" in front of my house or next to my car I'll turn it off for you?

I say that Don paid to be on that boat just the same as every one else. Within the rules of conduct on the boat the crew and the other passengers had the same obligation to allow Don to comfortable as he did them.

If smoking was limited to the back of the boat then that's where he needed to be. Others could have been anywhere...except they didn't want too be someplace else. They somehow felt that their reasons for wanting to be at the stern had priority over Don's. Maybe it's first come first serve. Maybe the biggest and strongest gets their way.

Maybe they could have had as much consideration for his comfort as they wanted him to have for theirs. However just like with the shoping carts they only cared about their own comfort and convenience.

Don should have stuck to his guns on the boat.

MikeFerrara:
Outdoors you might get a wiff but I doubt the dose is a significant health hazard except for the very few with severe allergies.
Actually, all it takes is the formation of one neoplasm due to one molcule of a carcinogen, which can lay dormant for a dozen years or more. Then one day, you have lung cancer.

Thanks Mike! Now I understand the message...

Oh, I'm glad that I helped others board - which cost me first crack at the stern, and I'm glad I was polite even when they weren't, but I appreciate this forum to discuss this.

Tolearance, Mutual Consideration, and Cooperation should always be the goal - for the Smoker and the Non, yes?

warren_l:
Actually, all it takes is the formation of one neoplasm due to one molcule of a carcinogen, which can lay dormant for a dozen years or more. Then one day, you have lung cancer.

I'm pretty sure you'll get more carcinogen from urban air than you will from my outdoor smoking...
:crafty:

Mike you have me incorrectly labeled. My point was simply that I would ask politely, but if that didn't work I'd resort to other methods. Why should anyone have to smell cigarette smoke if they don't want to?? The majority of people don't smoke why should a minority have there way? I have been on numerous dive boats where people are smoking. I try to get as far away as I can, but short of swimming home your suggesting that it's my problem. You can't be serious. Why are so many public places becoming "smoke free" because most people don't even want to smell it. The fact that it's bad for you is one good reason, but there are many others.
My wife is literally sickened by the smell. My sinuses take a nose dive (no pun intended-er' maybe a little). On a dive trip that's several good reasons for me going beyond hoping that the smoker is going to accomadate my request. Very, Very few of our friends smoke. I think a Dive Professional shouldn't smoke in front of students. It's a bad habit and sets a bad example. It's unhealthy. Smoking accounts for a lot of health care dollars. It's become illegal for anyone under 18. I realize that some people "enjoy smoking" but most are simply addicted to it. And because of that I have to put up with them stinking up the air that I need to breathe. On a recreational outing?? I'm willing to bet if the issue was pushed we could get smoking banned on boats for public charters, same as airports, rest., movie theaters, Why would anyone think that a "smoker" has the greater right to smoke vs. the non-smoker. I'll ask the question again "why do we wear deoderant?" It's simple we don't want to smell offensive to the people around us in public. Smokers have a hard time achieving this goal. I also said that if I go to a bar or club or similar place I expect to have to tolerate it-I just don't think I should have to tolerate it on a dive boat

DandyDon:
I'm pretty sure you'll get more carcinogen from urban air than you will from my outdoor smoking...
:crafty:
Perhaps, but why voluntarily add to the problem? And perhaps the urban air wouldn't be so bad to begin with.

warren_l:

Wow you'd think the'd want to avoid the stern of the boat.

Didn't some one point out earlier that that they may have been there because it's a good place to get sun? Darned funny behavior for folks wanting to avoid cancer...no?

I call BS and say they were just being intentionally mean. Don didn't try to force them to breath smoke. He just asked for a place where he could. They didn't help out because their wants were more important than his because they're more popular wants.

warren_l:
Perhaps, but why voluntarily add to the problem? And perhaps the urban air wouldn't be so bad to begin with.

I guess you're one of those who'd go to the stern, breath fumes, smirk that you kept me from the smoking deck, then blame me because you had to breah fumes to win! Jeez...!

MikeFerrara:
Wow you'd think the'd want to avoid the stern of the boat.
You got that right. It can be hard enough avoiding engine exhaust - it's not so bad when you're moving. No need to make things more difficult.

Why does someone wanting to be on the stern to smoke take priority over someone wanting to be on the stern for their own equally valid reasons?

Ben

DandyDon:
I guess you're one of those who'd go to the stern, breath fumes, smirk that you kept me from the smoking deck, then blame me because you had to breah fumes to win! Jeez...!
I actually don't quite understand what you're getting at, and I don't know how you figured all that out about me since you don't know me. But nonetheless, my contention is not to impinge on anyone's right to smoke or not. I just don't want to be subjected to it if I don't have to. Now that isn't too hard to understand is it??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom