Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver:
Lets start to take the same extream positions that most non-smokers do.

Therein lies the crux of the problem ... and it's one of perception. The reality is that "most non-smokers" do not take extreme positions.

Most non-smokers are only too happy to peacefully co-exist with you as long as you don't put them in a position where they're forced to inhale your exhaust.

I've seen some extreme views on both sides of this issue ... saw some at last night's City Council meeting, in fact. However, I've yet to see any extreme views that represent the majority on either side.

Most of us ... smokers and non-smokers ... just want to get along.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I were on a dive boat and someone started smoking I would be very upset. I would ask that person to please stop. If they did not stop I would then start to "rinse" my dive gear. Some how I am sure some water would be spilled :)

isn't the principal issue. The problem for most people that are sensitized to cigarette smoke is acute sinus/respiratory reactions during the dive trip, not some chronic condition that might manifest itself in decades.

And the smoking/sea sickness analogy wasn't even close to being arguable. Try again.

jeffkruse2000:
If I were on a dive boat and someone started smoking I would be very upset. I would ask that person to please stop. If they did not stop I would then start to "rinse" my dive gear. Some how I am sure some water would be spilled :)

Ah ... there's the Jeff Kruse we all know and love ... :eyebrow:

Rabble rouser ... :11ztongue ... where the heck ya been?

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cyklon_300:
isn't the principal issue. The problem for most people that are sensitized to cigarette smoke is acute sinus/respiratory reactions during the dive trip, not some chronic condition that might manifest itself in decades.

Yep ... that's the point I tried bringing up earlier in this discussion.

Does someone's right to smoke supercede someone else's right to be healthy enough to dive?

Many, like my ex-wife, react in such a manner that their sinuses become too clogged to allow them to dive for the remainder of the trip.

I will qualify that, however, by stating that when we booked a charter we always asked what the smoking policy was. If possible, we'd book on a non-smoking charter. If that wasn't possible, we'd inform the captain (or whoever we were booking through) of her allergies and ask for the best way to deal with the situation. If there were designated smoking areas, we'd avoid them. If not, we would often opt not to go.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Neckbone:
I'm the first to admit that I'm a newbie here, but I clearly remember my instructor mentioning that the moment one stops thinking of diving as potentially dangerous is the moment it becomes really dangerous.

I recognize that this is an emotional issue for many, but I still assert that *statistically speaking* you put yourself in harm's way more by flying/driving to the dive site, getting on a boat and diving than you do by spending a couple minutes in the presence of second-hand cigarette smoke.

Do people who spend a lot of time exposed to second-hand smoke suffer far higher rates of cancer? Yep- but that's not what we're talking about. A few minutes' exposure to second-hand smoke.

Second-hand smoke.

This isn't Sarin gas we're talking about.
I would disagree with that. If you start viewing it as dangerous, then it might just become that. You have to be cognizant of the risks involved and be prepared to take them. With good training and planning, you can minimize the risks. But having risk does not necessarily make something dangerous. If I walk across the street with the light, there still is the risk that a car might run the light and kill me. That is a risk. Does it make crossing the street with the light dangerous? I dunno.

As far as a few minutes exposure, one minute is one minute too much. There are effects that are cumulative in the body, and given enough of these "few minutes" exposure, it can create some serious problems. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually it can catch up to you.

Warren_L:
...having risk does not make something dangerous. If I walk across the street with the light, there still is the risk that a car might run the light and kill me. That is a risk. Does it make crossing the street with the light dangerous? I dunno.

Okay, I believe at this point we're arguing semantics. There are risks inherent to scuba which are exponentially minimized through the sound application of quality instruction, etc. etc. etc. Agreed. Further, I agree with the point which has been made a million times on this thread: that it is the job of all divers (and civilized people, for that matter) to behave in a sufficiently courteous manner that ensures the enjoyment of the dive experience is maximized for all involved.

Grand.

My point is just that, if someone dislikes (or is allergic to) cigarette smoke to such a degree that their dive enjoyment is compromised, it is incumbent upon them to avoid exposure. I am a non-smoker, and I dislike cigarette smoke. Should the world bend to my preference? No. Should I seek non-smoking environments? Yes. If I enter an environment where smoking is not prohibited, should I be offended if there is smoke present? No.

Neckbone:
Okay, I believe at this point we're arguing semantics. There are risks inherent to scuba which are exponentially minimized through the sound application of quality instruction, etc. etc. etc. Agreed. Further, I agree with the point which has been made a million times on this thread: that it is the job of all divers (and civilized people, for that matter) to behave in a sufficiently courteous manner that ensures the enjoyment of the dive experience is maximized for all involved.

Grand.

My point is just that, if someone dislikes (or is allergic to) cigarette smoke to such a degree that their dive enjoyment is compromised, it is incumbent upon them to avoid exposure. I am a non-smoker, and I dislike cigarette smoke. Should the world bend to my preference? No. Should I seek non-smoking environments? Yes. If I enter an environment where smoking is not prohibited, should I be offended if there is smoke present? No.
Semantics? Perhaps. I still contend that there is a marked difference between risk and danger. Be that as it may....

As for non-smokers in smoking environments, please see my response in post #132.

Inhaling carcinogens is always hazardous to my health all the time, no matter the amount.

If your that worried you need to live in a plastic bubble or underground with airfiltration

I don't even smoke yet I get the same BS stuff all the time w/smokeless tobacco and theres no second hand hazzard to it and its also bio-degradable product. It's folks pushen there own agenda on other folks and using health risks threats as an excuse to just be PC to the point of rudeness

If people don't smoke and can't handle being near smokers then make sure you only board smoke free boats otherwise you have no complaint. Non-smokers can wear masks to help filter the air if it such a problem or completely avoid smoking areas

I don't think the comparison between sea-sickness and smoking is a fair one, as I don't know a single sea-sickness prone person who *elects* to chum the waters, as it were. Smoking is a conscious choice, sea-sickness is not.

And yep next time I'm around someone who get motion sickness I'm gonna put them overboard because they have med's to help prevent this or they can dive from the shore. Most people already know they are prone to being sick but yet they still chose to go out. People know they get Airsick yet they still go by airplane dispite alternate means of travel and proper planning to accomadate for increased time travel.

Sorry, but it is a dirty habit and unfortunately far too many smokers believe the world is their ashtray and toss the butts everywhere

But being rude and PC snobish is a dirty habit as well. Thats like saying all dog owners don't properly take care of there pets. I do see more dog owners letting there dogs run loose and making a mess than the ones who actualy scoop up behind and use leashes.

GeekDiver:
If your that worried you need to live in a plastic bubble or underground with airfiltration
I think the point is being missed here. There are enough hazardous things that we have to put up with in everyday life. Here is one that is completely avoidable. No need to make things worse than they already are. I'm not suggesting that we can attain an environment totally devoid of the contaminants, but why add to the problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom